RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
So sad to lose a great person at such a young age. I went to one of his seminars back in 2003. At the conclusion of the seminar, He set up a quad and ran his dog on it with all guns retired. Pinned them all. Condolences to his family. RIP John.

· Registered
5,855 Posts
Our club sponsored one of John's clinics. It was the one that Paula attended.

He spent 2 full days lecturing, working with the dog/handler teams, and doing demonstrations. It made a huge difference in how I proceeded in training my youngster. She turned out to be everything I could have asked for. Years later I ran into him at a trial and he asked me if I was pleased with how she turned out. I replied that I was, and that he had a lot to do with it.

At the end of that seminar, he would not even accept reimbursement for travel expenses. He told me that if he succeeded in helping some of us to become better trainers, that was compensation enough. That's the kind of man he was.

I sure hope that he is reunited with the Great dogs that he trained and competed with in the hereafter. -Paul

· Registered
931 Posts
Our club sponsored one of John's clinics. It was the one that Paula attended.

At the end of that seminar, he would not even accept reimbursement for travel expenses. He told me that if he succeeded in helping some of us to become better trainers, that was compensation enough. That's the kind of man he was.

I sure hope that he is reunited with the Great dogs that he trained and competed with in the hereafter. -Paul

the club even offered John a gift of a duck caller and he didn't want to take it, so it was raffled off and I won it. That was a great weekend. Very classy guy,

· Registered
250 Posts
One of the first seminars that I attended was one that John and Jim Drager gave. I still have the notebook. John was always a good member of the Westchester Retriever Club and always gave back. My condolences to his family.

Mary Beth Corsini

· Registered
2,737 Posts

· Registered
11,161 Posts
John's obituary is at this link
It is interesting how many truly interesting people are and have been in the retriever world yet we rarely know much about the other parts of their lives. His professional and golf resume are even more impressive than his retriever resume.

· Registered
4,144 Posts
Funny story:
When John worked in Tampa I would sometime meet him for lunch at the mall food court. John would often go up to a blind person with their assistance dog and ask if they knew the dogs pedigree etc. Many times they would think he was some nut, but sometimes sit down and talk dogs.

So sorry he didn't get to enjoy more of his retirement.

· Registered
4,680 Posts
What a sad loss, and far too young. My condolences to his family and friends.

· Registered
44 Posts
I was deeply saddened to learn of John's passing. He had so much energy and enthusiasm. I was sad to learn of him leaving field trials, and always hoped he would return. I attended 3 different seminars the he did. I have been to a lot of seminars given by some of the top pros, but I think I learned more from his. He was so thorough and relentless in his approach to things. When I would run in to him, he would always ask "How are you doing?", and always asked about my dogs. He was such a nice guy. I feel that knowing him has touched me in some way!

· Registered
9,030 Posts
In reading John's guest book in our local paper, I found an entry by his cousin that summed up how John lived ...
Life is short, and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us. So be swift to love, and make haste to be kind. - (Adapted from Henri-Frédéric Amiel)
Truly John left our dog world with a lot more than his remarkable training insights.

· Registered
97 Posts
My sypmpathies to all of you who did know, and train with him. I think that many of the posts in this thread are a very fitting tribute to a man who made an impact to those he interacted with in life.

· Registered
82 Posts
I still have a ring binder of his training methods. Sorry to hear of his passing. He had some great dogs, great, great Amateur trainer.
Tim, I have been searching and searching for any materials authored (or collected) by John. John was a very dear friend, and I respected him as a dog man and author. I was not aware of his passing until 2021. We did the week long Lardy advanced workshop 25 years ago, judged each other's dogs, and competed against each other. Perhaps someone would have electronic files they could email me at [email protected].

· Registered
82 Posts
Tim, I have been searching and searching for any materials authored (or collected) by John. John was a very dear friend, and I respected him as a dog man and author. I was not aware of his passing until 2021. We did the week long Lardy advanced workshop 25 years ago, judged each other's dogs, and competed against each other. Perhaps someone would have electronic files they could email me at [email protected].
Tim, I would like to have the "Cavanaugh" notes that you have. I would be happy to duplicate them for you.
Bruce Loeffelholz

41 - 54 of 54 Posts