RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Juice is now 3.5 months old. He is growing but not even close to what his feet dictate he will be :)

For those who say Cosmo dogs are out of control maniacs he is completely steady in terms of marking. He marks land singles and doubles from field gunners without movement and leaves when sent with a hand over his head...and he is not vocal.

The picture of him sitting was taken with a mark on the ground. He waited patiently while I took around 10 shots before I put down the camera and released him.

His marking is superb. He lasers every single mark he sees. His memory on doubles is nice also and he does equally as well on his memory marks.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Is Cosmo Juice's sire or is Cosmo farther back in the pedigree? I am curious. Nice looking pups.

Not all Cosmo sired dogs were maniacs and vocal. Cosmo is remembered because he was high powered, was basically out of control, but I don't know if he was vocal. Cosmo definitely had talent which he passed on to his sons and daughters. Carbon, son of Cosmo, was neither a maniac or vocal. Carbon's litter sister, well, she was a bit more spirited and more like her daddy.

A well-known often bred Carbon son is Chopper. Chopper has produced with different bitches high powered, but talented, maniacs -- some vocal, some not vocal. Thus, Chopper has earned a similar reputation as his grandsire Cosmo. Chopper pups will be talented, markers, can be wild, can be vocal. May not be suitable for amateurs who can't train or handle a high roller. But then again, not all Chopper pups are wild and/or vocal.

Whether its Cosmo, Carbon, or Chopper... it's a crap shoot as to what you might get. Please post where Cosmo is in Juice's pedigree. Dam, too.
Thanks,
Helen

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cosmo is his sire and a Carbon sired female is his dam. From the charts he is 62% Cosmo. If the calculations are correct his litter is the highest percentage Cosmo offspring to date. The reason I state where he is in training is obvious...if any litter should fit the myths about Cosmo offspring THIS litter should. However, he is one of the most trainable and best marking puppies I have seen to date. I hope it continues on.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Keith, nice pup. Jacob from what experience to you draw that conclusion? I watched Cos run before he had his FC and bred to him.He threw what many have described in other threads pups with high drive, some vocal ( I had one), some not. There was no Cosmo "myth".

Jeff Gruber

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I see several in training each time I get to with Mr. Danny. I have watched a lot of young Cosmo pups. Lots. There's a huge difference between drive & just bad basics/sloppy handling. Besides, a lot of the successful Cosmo breeding involved a Maxx bitch. Funny how people ignore the part of the bitch.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is a great looking pup...Thanks!

I am glad I pushed for this breeding instead of a Cosmo son (although that may have worked well too :) ). Looking forward to continued fun and adventure with Juice...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I don't buy the Cosmo myth @ all.
Which part of the "myth" don't you buy" There are still a lot of people around who trialed when Cosmo was running. They remember what his personality was, how well he could mark, and what his behavior was on the line. Cosmo earned his wild and wooly out of control reputation. Apparently it is no myth.

Thus, when Cosmo pups and Cosmo grandchildren are high rolling, fire breathing dynamos (some vocal, some not), it will be attributed to Cosmo -- and not to the dam side.

While Chopper was an animated high roller in the field, I don't recall him being out of control on the line. Might have had the tendences, but training and handling (Jim and Frank) must have had it under control. I don't recall that Chopper was ever vocal at a trial. And yet... Chopper has produced wild and wooly firebreathers -- some vocal, some not. We have trained with two males out of the same litter since they were small (now they are adults). Excellent markers, wild and wooly, out of control for their amateur handlers, one is vocal, one is not vocal. Have also trained with their dam. She is the opposite; she is laid back and not vocal. IMHO, if these two males had gone to a pro experienced with training and handling high rollers, the two males would be farther along in their trial career than they are now. Both had tremendous potential, but they are not the type of dog that should be trained and handled by amateurs who do not have the experience nor the ability to provide the discipline in training starting at an early age.

Helen

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have Juice's sister. From the picture, I think that Cosmo's Queen of the Swamp, aka Liz is bigger than him. She is very tractable, highly intelligent, very good water attitude and a good marker for what she has seen.
I was very happy to get this pup as I have had a few from the Cosmo lines. One of the smartest I ever had was out of Cosmo and a Lean Mac bitch. Also had a Carbon girl out of a Canadian GRHRCH who had tremendous drive and great bottom. Both were good markers and nice HT dogs. Both also hunted commercially with me in Canada with great results. No vocalization when the birds were working, steady, good around the hunters.
I have heard the myths but not seen it.
MP

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My first "Cosmo" bred dog...Tex...just titled FC at 4 years old. Tex is not an out of control maniac. He is very driven, yes...but tractable. He made the derby list, QAA'd by winning and placing 2nd in a Q, and has been very consistent in all-age stakes. I would train a Cosmo son any day!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts