RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the first things I do in the morning is turn on the local news. Today I was greeted by the mug shot of a client of at least 25 years accused of murdering his wife 3 days ago. Her body was still in the house, co-workers had contacted police because she had not been at work. A 4 hour standoff with police ensued as he slammed the door when they came inquiring about the whereabouts of his wife. The police found her body and the bodies of the two family dogs inside the house, she was covered with a blanket.

I arrived at the clinic around 9 and shortly thereafter animal control arrived with 2 dead dogs. Since I was the attending veterinarian I was tasked with determining if the dogs had been shot (which was confirmed by x-ray) and then extracting the bullets from their bodies.

My profession is certainly interesting and firsts still happen all the time and an another one happened today.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
That has got to be mind blowing considering that you had known him for so long. Do they have any theories as to why he may have snapped??

·
Registered
336 Posts
I work at a veterinaryhospital, and have some crazy stories as well. We had a client who had a very old dog, she had called many times about putting her dog to sleep, but was really having a difficult time with that idea. She would call me often and go over and over whether this was the right thing to do. She finally decided that it was the right thing and then grappled with what to do with the body, finally deciding to have him stuffed and we went over and over that and she seemed to have made peace with that was her final decision. I heard nothing from her for a few weeks, which was unusal, when an animal control officer called me to let me know that this client had gone in her garage the night before, with her dog, ran a hose into the car, started the car and prepared to die with her dog. Thankfully her husband found them, she was rushed to the hospital and her dog was taken to an emergency clinic where it was euthanized,sadly alone without any of its family present, because they were all with her. She made it, and from what I here is going through some heavy duty therapy. I don't know about your hospital Dr Ed, but I could write a book of some crazy stories...keeps it interesting.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That has got to be mind blowing considering that you had known him for so long. Do they have any theories as to why he may have snapped??
Unofficially what I heard the old dog relieved himself in the house, he was angry so he shot him, the wife became very upset because he shot the dog so he shot her, then he shot the other dog, said that he would have shot himself too but he was out of ammunition.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
wow. you never really know someone do ya?

last month there was a guy locally that took his kids out of school early, went home, shot his wife, shot the kids and called the police and told them what he had done. he hung up the phone and shot himself. I just don't get what can go through someone's mind (other than the bullet obviously :rimshot: ) to do something like this.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow! No matter how long or well you might know someone... You sadly really never know them.
A good friend of mine found both his parents shot to death on their 40th wedding anniversary last year. Never would have expected this from them. Dad shot mom and then shot himself.
Bobby

·
Registered
605 Posts
Unofficially what I heard the old dog relieved himself in the house, he was angry so he shot him, the wife became very upset because he shot the dog so he shot her, then he shot the other dog, said that he would have shot himself too but he was out of ammunition.
That last part is funny...sorrry all, just my warped sense of humor.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Senseless doesn't even begin to cover it. Obviously there was something else going on: substance abuse, depression or some other mental health issue.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Strange things do indeed happen. When my wife and I built our first house, we showed up for the closing and the realtor that we had representing ourselves didn't show. Then the builder shows up and takes me aside to explain that the realtor was murdered the night before by her drunk boyfriend. He didn't want me to "upset the women" so he asked me to keep it quiet. He stood in for the realtor on the closing.

Really strange when this type of stuff hits so close to home.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sorry for you Dr Ed. Lousy all the way around

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Sorry Dr Ed for an upsetting day for sure!!

Its true,, ya just never know,,

But to shed some upbeat humor in the situation,,, It should remind people to NEVER talk to Gooser whilst i is in a holding blind at a test!!

ya just never know!!!

Gooser

·
Registered
538 Posts
Among the first things I do in the morning is turn on the local news. Today I was greeted by the mug shot of a client of at least 25 years accused of murdering his wife 3 days ago. Her body was still in the house, co-workers had contacted police because she had not been at work. A 4 hour standoff with police ensued as he slammed the door when they came inquiring about the whereabouts of his wife. The police found her body and the bodies of the two family dogs inside the house, she was covered with a blanket.

I arrived at the clinic around 9 and shortly thereafter animal control arrived with 2 dead dogs. Since I was the attending veterinarian I was tasked with determining if the dogs had been shot (which was confirmed by x-ray) and then extracting the bullets from their bodies.

My profession is certainly interesting and firsts still happen all the time and an another one happened today.
Very Sad.

Regards
JT
www.marshhawkretrievers.com

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Sad indeed!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sad day for the survivors and the dogs although he dispatched them quickly with head shots so I doubt they had any idea what was happening. This person had at times been a difficult and sometimes argumentative client. It certainly gives one cause to wonder how many mentally disturbed people are out there in possession of firearms.

·
Registered
621 Posts
OK so I have guns, lots of them, and I am going to be visiting your clinic again very soon, maybe do this when training. But I promise I will be nice to you and all the dogs. And yes at times I am crazy, but under control when Cherylon is around. ;-);-)

Hell of way to start your day Dr. Ed, can only get better from there on.

See ya soon,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts