RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long time now I have often thought about asking this question, but did not have the confidence to do so.

As I had only attended prenational training and one trial, and with that being the AM National last year, I had a limited view on your "dog" requirements.

Now that I am an expert, LOL, (thankyou all, for not belittling my short 6 week recent stay - but we are coming back), and know many of the desired traits.

The first time I was asked during my recent visit, how would I rate US labradors against Australian labradors and their NATURAL ability I was horrified. After being asked the question by many my answer became the same.

With Andrew and I planning to move over for a couple of years I was very interested in observing AKC hunt tests and the weekend field trials. Purely on a selfish view, thinking why move over, if our dogs could not compete in your games. I could still learn in the US (huge plus) and Andrew could still go hunting (big plus). Would I end up doing fly ball (never do it in Australia but it was an option) the whole two years? I now feel confident our dogs would be successful, from what I saw, in the AKC master tests. In regards to field trials, my confidence continues into Derbys and Quals. All Age, I am sitting on the fence, but with the right training and a good dog I feel that great Australian labradors have the ability.

I enjoy what I call the suicidal trainable labrador, as force is still a mystery to me in many respects.

One thing Australian breeding could promise is no EIC, thyroid, muscular myopathy, or retinal dysplasia. Hips have been routinely xrayed, elbows cleared and eyes CERF's every year.

This is not a marketing ploy. My friends in the US who have seen good Australian labradors all agree - $hit yeah, Australian dogs could play our games (honest compliment I hope!!!!)

No other country tests like our countries.

Please be kind to me, I am easily hurt.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Truthfully Julie, I probably wouldn't right now. There's a heck of a lot of litters born here that I'd love to have a pup out of. Just this week I've had to turn down two litters that I WANT a pup out of. I just don't have the time right now for more dogs. Money enters into the equation too.

The next pup will be out of something I KNOW is proven in the game I play. I'm going to invest close to a year of my time in the pup and most likely will come up with nothing. I want my chances of a future FC as good as my wallet will allow.

Now if you dog comes over here and stands out as something good, then it starts to get proven and I would consider a pup out of it. After all it doesn't have the health issues that we are seeing in our lines. It would be a good outcross. But like I said, it's ability has to be proven in the field at trials under our rules before I'd consider a pup from it.

The dog would also be proven to me if pups from it start doing something that even I, up here in the sticks, hear about.

Other opinions may vary I hope you get lots of feedback on this. I think it's an interesting outcross and rates a look and a try.

Take care, when ya coming over?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Julie,

I'm with Howard on this one. Would have to prove themselves in the FT game. But if proven and throwing pups that are doing it then I'd be interested no matter the country and as you say you do not have any of the genetic issue that would be a big plus.

You are definately committed to the 9s and I respect that immensely.

Anthony

·
Registered
620 Posts
Could you describe the type of Aus. field trial retrievers. Do you have separate show lines and field lines. Are your dogs similar to British FT dogs.

Can you post pictures. If not, could you email them.

Also, where all did you visit on your recent trip.

Thanks
Steve

S

·
0 Posts
I'm in the same corner as steve....I would like to know what an "aussie lab" constitutes before I can make an evaluation or give a honest reply...Like what your test and trials consist of, give me a comparision to each level

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Clipper wrote:

Do your trials only have labs? or do you also have Goldens and Chessies?
You beat me to it!! Would love to know what the Aussie Goldens are like &, Aussie-if you find them to be the equivalent of your Labs.

I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but appropriately enough, on the Wildrose trial thread someone wrote something about buying the dog that suits your needs. With that in mind-I'd consider an Aussie Lab/Golden. It's very unlikely that I'll ever run field trials, but my goal for the next dog is a consistent (very important!) Master level dog who hunts waterfowl & upland in his spare time.

Aussie wrote:

I now feel confident our dogs would be successful, from what I saw, in the AKC master tests. In regards to field trials, my confidence continues into Derbys and Quals. All Age, I am sitting on the fence, but with the right training and a good dog I feel that great Australian labradors have the ability.
I don't have any reason to doubt that statement & since I'm looking for a dog to train myself & run tests for fun (I put all titles on my dog after she was spayed-I'm not hoping to recoup anything from the next dog either) I would give an Aussie dog a shot.

Aussie wrote:

I enjoy what I call the suicidal trainable labrador, as force is still a mystery to me in many respects

Can you elaborate on this?!?

Aussie wrote:

One thing Australian breeding could promise is no EIC, thyroid, muscular myopathy, or retinal dysplasia. Hips have been routinely xrayed, elbows cleared and eyes CERF's every year.
Sounds appealing to me!!

I'm not your target audience as I have only trained one dog & it's unlikely that the very small accomplishments I've had with my no pedigree "mutt" Golden will have very many breeders putting me on their list, But I'd like to think I can take all the mistakes I made with my first dog & really go somewhere with the next one. The fact that your dogs perform never having seen a collar or force is very appealing to me. Pleeease-don't anybody jump down my throat for that-I'm not knocking collars or force!!

Aussie-anxious to see how your dogs fare stateside!!

M

·
Registered
323 Posts
Steve said
Are your dogs similar to British FT dogs

What are you meaning there? Are you asking about the appearance of their dogs or the set up of their trials and what they look for?

As for the original question....
IF I saw the dog work and train consistently and liked what I saw I would consider it...but I would also be considering other litters

·
Registered
620 Posts
What are you meaning there? Are you asking about the appearance of their dogs or the set up of their trials and what they look for?
Asking about the appearance and lineage of the dogs. I'm asking out of basic curiosity because I don't think I'm in the position to import one.

I believe their field trials resemble our hunt tests.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Re: Just for fun - Would you buy an Australian working labra

Aussie said:

You find me a top quality male puppy genetically free of all that, and you can sign me up.............

If it was really good.........gold mine :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm with Ed on this one. Find me a female that would cross well with Ed's male and he & I might be in "bidness".

Jerry

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before I answer all the interest could someone PLEASE advise me how to get the quotes up.

I have my goals, I love my dogs going straight, I want good habits, I teach, show and correct, I have my standards, I strive to gain knowledge, but how do I:

get quotes up???

Julie

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Aussie said:
Before I answer all the interest could someone PLEASE advise me how to get the quotes up.

Hi Aussie

Quotes are pretty easy

Hit the quote key - that opens the quote.

Copy and paste the text in or type in the text you want to quote.

Hit the quote key again - that closes the quotes.

Good Luck

Joe

BTW the bold/italic/underline features work the same way

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much.

I have had an absolute horror of a day.

Trying to get my dogs fit enough to compete again this year. Victoria Australia is in the middle of the trialling season and today I had:

Two cut pads in two different dogs at two different training fields.

Another dog (ex dud who always seems to be a problem) who I noticed had a sore eye yesterday and continued symptoms today so we went to the vet and she has an injury which has ulcerated.

Another bitch, when I got home from the vet, an infected nipple.

and the computer went down as well.

An absolute horrid, horrid day.

I look forward to tomorrow.

J

·
0 Posts
Re: Just for fun - Would you buy an Australian working labra

Ed Aycock said:
You find me a top quality male puppy genetically free of all that, and you can sign me up.............
DITTO

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you sure you want Australian labradors, when they are so accident prone??

It was an egg (bum nut) of a day.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Aussie said:
Are you sure you want Australian labradors, when they are so accident prone??
Aussie Lab, yes. Just not too sure about a certain Aussie handler.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just not too sure about a certain Aussie handler.
Jerry, dearest, are you feeling quite well? No fever, sore throat, tummy ache? 'Cause I gotta say, this just isn't LIKE you. Not at all.

If you were feeling 100%, you'd be offering to take the dog AND fly the handler over for private " handling lessons".

Lisa - thinks Tricia needs to call an ambulance, her man's not right

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
:D :D :D Was just thinking of sparklegrl's "accidents". Can't afford to make Aussie mad, she's still trying to find a certain bottle of Port for me.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts