RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find places where I can set up 3 pattern blinds that are at least over 100 yards. I started with a middle blind which I can run up to 225 yards.

I started my dog at 50 yards on this blind and then backed up for the second chance at 110 yards. The 110 yards is what you see in the video.

A friend says this corridor is too much like a mowed path (which it is in the summer) and will teach my dog to run roads/paths. There is cover, but not heavy, on each side of this corridor. I have since found a different part of the field to run the 3-part blinds Lardy recommends for beginners. But I would still like to use this for my dogs who aren't ready to run 3 parters. Do you think this corridor is too like a road/path to run any blinds on it?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Looks like a path to me. just move the line and angle across it. Maybe use the trees on either side for key holes. Be careful not to make them too complicated though, small steps.
My Lily is 8 1/2 months and running very nice blinds. This past week I took her to a local park that has lots of buildings, trees, terrain, RV hookups, playground stuff....................
We did a couple casting drills in a flat open area first and she was nearly flawless. Next I placed a few blinds that I thought would be fairly easy out in the park. Lily is not the least bit shy and might even be overconfident in herself, if that's possible. Those "simple" blinds completely rattled her. Just a combination of all the little factors and distractions I guess. Had to simplify a couple and coax her through them. Went back a couple more times and now she is used to it.
It's surprising what will have an effect on a retriever sometimes. Glad to say Lily and I both learned something in training this week.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Best lining dog I ever had learned to line on 5 long mowed paths on some seriously severe rolling terrain and side hills. She had no tendency at all to seek roads or paths in any other training or trial setting. It was a rare AA land blind which required more than 3 whistles and casts to complete. So, to answer your question, I don't think it's too "roady".
Wish I still had the use of that parcel. It became an industrial park, unfortunately. -Paul

·
Registered
576 Posts
One common blind I see at field trials and hunt tests is a blind where part of the line is down a dirt road that gradually bends. Some retrievers stay on the road while others try to avoid the road which is a behavior from their training.

So there may be a disadvantage teaching a youngster to run down a dirt road. A different approach would be to set up pattern blinds that are at an angle across the road. Or later, de-train by running gradient blinds to teach the retriever that roads are neither to be avoided or attracted to when running blinds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts