RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of a grass fire being started by a Bumper Boy? A buddy of mine can't use one of his training areas when it's dry because of this.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Have heard the Thunders will but not BB

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Yes I've heard of them being caused by BB - I do believe some one posted about one here on RTF.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know of at least one occasion where a grass fire was started with a winger using a 209 primer. I think it got out of hand pretty quickly and the fire dept. had to be called.

Kathryn

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Mike,

You darn sure can start a fire with a winger and a 209 primer! I assume a BB works the same way. Last year when it was so dry I either kicked all the grass away down to the dirt or set a 1'x1' piece of plywood under that part of the winger.

·
Registered
392 Posts
YES YES and more YES

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I witnessed an older Thunder catch grass on fire. Made toast of the thunder.

I think any of the launchers have the potential of doing it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Big difference bewteen the two in the type of propellent. I see 8" flames come out of my Max 5000's all the time. No flames from the Derby Doubles.
Besides the rubber mat, clear all the tall grass from around the BB and you should be safe.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike,

You darn sure can start a fire with a winger and a 209 primer! I assume a BB works the same way. Last year when it was so dry I either kicked all the grass away down to the dirt or set a 1'x1' piece of plywood under that part of the winger.
The 209 primer in a winger is pointed down towards the ground while the charge in a BB is pointed up and enclosed in the barrel but it's better to be safe than sorry. When it's this hot and dry it's probably better to work on blinds, drills, etc. and save the long marks for later.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I had no idea. Thanks for the thread. I'll start putting something on the ground under my winger...too dangerous here in Texas and I don't want to be "that guy".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts