RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on flea and tick control and the best place to purchase? We'll spend alot of time in tall grass and the water this summer.
Thanks Troy

·
Registered
5 Posts
We use Frontline Plus. It costs about $10/month per dog. We have run our 3 MHs from California to Michigan to Florida and have not had any problems.

We shop the internet we we are ready to resupply.

·
Registered
277 Posts
FYI- Difference between products:
Frontline Plus covers more than any other product.
-Kills adult fleas
- kills flea eggs
- kills flea larva
- kills ticks
-aids in controlling sarcoptic mange
-kills chewing lilce

Advantix
- kills adult fleas
-kills flea larva
-kills ticks
-repels and kills mosquitoes

Advantage
- kills adult fleas
- kills flea larva

Revolution
- kills adult fleas
-kills flea eggs
-kills ticks
-treats and controls sarcoptic mange

I would recommend frontline plus and if you want the mosquito repellent I would use a spray like Ovatrol flea and tick spray, it works for repelling and killing mosquitos.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
TroyW said:
Any opinions on flea and tick control and the best place to purchase? We'll spend alot of time in tall grass and the water this summer.
Thanks Troy

I use Advantix and like the results. I siwtched to it because it does repel mosquitos for a short while. Combined with Sentinel, I find this combination the be the best where we have a lot of fleas and mosquitos. Ticks aren't a problem here because of the fire ants.

I found the best prices for Advantix at fostersandsmith.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was led to believe that K9 Advantix kills/covers more things than Frontline Plus. I can't remember exactly what those are though. I will check it out...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I liked the idea of the advantix because of the mosquito control, but Mr Booty, it sounds liek maybe that doesn't last long?
Thanks Troy

G

·
K9 Advantix ® for Dogs
Imidacloprid; 1-[6-Chloro-3-pyrindinyl) methyl]-N-nitro-2-imidazolidinimine 8.8%
Permethrin 44.0%
Other ingredients 47.2%

The big difference with Advantix is the Imidacloprid. According to the Advantix website. Imidacloprid moves through the dogs body fast and stays in the dogs dander. Killing fleas in the dogs common areas (beds and kennels).

I have always used K9 Advantix on my Lab, Buck. He has never had fleas and ticks have never been a problem. Around here the ticks are real bad. I have watched skeeters land on him and take off without biting him.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
TroyW said:
I liked the idea of the advantix because of the mosquito control, but Mr Booty, it sounds liek maybe that doesn't last long?
Thanks Troy
When I had my dog at the Vet for his annual, I asked him about Advantix just to get his thoughts. He said the ability to repel mosquitos didn't last long. Of course, he sells Advantage Plus and not Advantix so I decided to stay on Advantix. I took his opionion with a grain of salt! That's why I team it with Sentinel. Sentinel has mosquito repeling qualities to it. My dogs always test negative for Heartworm and I very rarely find any fleas on them since I switched to this combination. Mosquitos are a big problem down here so I went for the combiantion that I felt would give me the best protection against them as well as fleas.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I use Advantix for both dogs. Slightly cheaper than Frontline Plus. Much cheaper in F & S catalog is Bio Spot. Works great but doesn't have the "water proof" capabilities in the others, ergo not too good for waterfowl dogs eh?

UB

·
Registered
446 Posts
We also use K9 Advantix - due to the mosquito repellent in it. The reason I know it works really well - we've found dead ticks on our dogs before and my hubby hunts in areas where there are A LOT of mosquitos at certain times of the year - they'll be swatting mosquitos and the dogs hardly notice they are there....

·
Registered
741 Posts
just ordered from 888-pet-meds, they'll beat Foster and Smith's price and throw in free shipping...

we've had great luck with it - get tons of ticks here and in Northern Wisco, and the dogs have never had one get on 'em and get engorged...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just kinda curious is anyone else has ever used petshed.com ? They are an australian based company and are also much cheaper for the same product sold in the US. I have never had any trouble with them to date.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
DerbyDude said:
Just kinda curious is anyone else has ever used petshed.com ? They are an australian based company and are also much cheaper for the same product sold in the US. I have never had any trouble with them to date.

Mike
I have ordered Frontline at a good price and very fast shipping.

Errol

·
Registered
54 Posts
FYI for those of you who keep your dogs indoors and have cats-Advantix is fatally toxic to cats who live in the same house as the dog that Advantix has been applied to.

·
Registered
741 Posts
blackpowder said:
FYI for those of you who keep your dogs indoors and have cats-Advantix is fatally toxic to cats who live in the same house as the dog that Advantix has been applied to.
another bonus!! (JK - I know cat people are just as attached to their cats as I am to my mutts) Wouldn't the cat have to have some exposure to the medicine, i.e. licking it or something, as opposed to just living in the same house??

·
Registered
36 Posts
According to the instructions it's only lethal if the cat licks it or ingests it in some way. I believe the instructions say to keep the cat away from the dogs for a few days after each application. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk it if I had cats and would use another medication.

·
Registered
54 Posts
spaightlabs said:
blackpowder said:
another bonus!! (JK - I know cat people are just as attached to their cats as I am to my mutts) Wouldn't the cat have to have some exposure to the medicine, i.e. licking it or something, as opposed to just living in the same house??
Yes the cat has to groom the dog in order to ingest it, but I have 4 cats myself and wouldn't dream of taking that chance!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
blackpowder said:
spaightlabs said:
blackpowder said:
Yes the cat has to groom the dog in order to ingest it, but I have 4 cats myself and wouldn't dream of taking that chance!
Once the Advantix has dried completely there should no risk to the cat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts