RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do folks use in your kennels for your dogs to lay on so they are not on concrete all the time? Will be moving sometime in the (I hope) near future and my kennels will be in a porch on the end of my barn with concrete floors. Just wondered what works best? Something they can't chew up too bad but gets them off of the concrete when they are laying around. Recommendations appreciated. Recommendations with links to suppliers highly appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have not coughed up the money yet, but I hear good things about Kuranda dog beds.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Dog-Cot-for-around-10/

Built 5 of these and they work fine. Just make sure you get a durable heavy weight fabric. Phifertex works well especially the Phifertex plus with the denser weave. . Check the local upholstery/marine shops for their cutoffs if you aren't particular about color.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have Kuranda beds for their indoor and outdoor runs so they never have to lie on the concrete. Get the aluminum frames--they are the least chewable of all their styles/models.

Meredith

·
Registered
36 Posts
My runs are 5 x 10 on a common concrete slab. I purchased s 5 x 8 solid rubber stall mat that is about an inch thick from my local farm supply store that work great. They are very heavy so don't move around, they seem chew resistant (I have a destroyer and he hasn't left his mark) and they hose off easily.

·
Registered
875 Posts
When I was a kid, we had a Fox Terrier that resided in our English style basement. She could open the screen door so it was left slightly ajar year round. Now this was in the dark ages before Kuranda beds or doggy doors. My Dad just took a wooden kid's sandbox with short legs off the cement floor and added a blanket - made a great dog bed. I don't know if you can find a wooden sandbox anymore, of course. Simpler times.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Kurandas in all the kennels and they love them. None have been able to destroy one. Worth the $ for the good ones.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
If you keep a house or barrel in the run you can built a little platform/deck on top of it for dogs to hang out on. Maybe put it on shaded end so concrete sees full sun.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I've got Kuranda beds but have had issues with them. The open weave fabric which they don't warranty, doesn't hold up well if you dog is a "nester", aka- digs in his bed. And I've had to replace several of the aluminum corner brackets that just rot away. It's probably something in my well water doing it but they have been very rude and non-responsive when contacted about solutions. I have one of their beds that's plastic and it won't last with them nibbling on the corners. Overall the best I've had are kennel decks attached to frames I make from PVC pipe. I trim the deck sections in light aluminum angle and it discourages chewing. They are lightweight and easy to clean or replace if needed, just bolt a new one onto the frame and go. My barrel houses are adjacent to the decks and they love to stand on the deck and lean across the barrels.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the ideas folks. I have a couple rubber stall mats laying around and never though of using them. Anybody had any issues with skin problems with the rubber? I was warned not to use rubber mats in kennel crates due to possible allergic reactions if dog is on them for long periods of time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We've got 11 Kurunda beds, all are PVC tubing with the ballistic cloth. They are the best, dry fast, can scrub them with bleach or cleaner and a stiff brush if necessary, keeps the dogs off the floor. I can add a pad in the winter months for insulation. I got really tired of stinky, wet beds making stinky dogs - no more!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kurandas in all the kennels and they love them. None have been able to destroy one. Worth the $ for the good ones.
I have 4 Kuranda beds and they are the best there is. and they cannot be destroyed. Have had mine for seven years and still like new.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Get two lengths of aluminum or galvanized steel electrical conduit, 1 1/4 or larger. Be sure it will fit through the kennel fencing. Slide the conduit thru the kennel about 2 1/2 feet off the ground at the rear of the kennel, about16 inches apart. Just slide the conduit in one side and across then out the other. Through the wire. You can slide longer pieces of conduit through two kennels.

Get two 2x4's cut to whatever width "shelf" you want. Screw 2x8's, or 2x10's onto the 2x4's to make the shelf. I used wolmanized lumber. It's been there for close to 30 years. The dogs love it.

Secure the shelf to the conduit on the underside of the shelf with conduit clamps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I built a 48"x48" platform for my dog. I used a light colored composite decking so it stays cool in the summer. That said, she usually lays on the concrete when it's warm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts