RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on trappin some pigeons seeing as i work in a very tall building and i'm cool with maintenance department so they agreed to let me go on the roof to place traps. i only plan on keeping 3-4 pigeons around at a time but what are some of the ways you keep them alive? cages? coops? birdhouses? pictures?

also for ones that you need dead is it as simple as breaking its neck? whats the proper and humane way of killing one?

how many 10-15 minute sessions is a live bird good for (clipped and taped wings)? and what about a dead frozen bird? do you thaw the birds completely? straight out the fridge?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I built a 2'x2'x8' pen that's raised about 2' off of the ground. 2' of the end of it is enclosed, and it has a tin roof over all of it. There is an access door in the open part, and on the closed end, I built a sliding door that is the size if the whole end. I still have a couple pigeons that I caught 3 years ago.

How long they last depends a lot on how they're used, and how rough the dog that's retrieving them are on them. A hard mouthed pup/dog can kill them on the first retrieve. I have several birds that I've clipped the wings on that have been retrieved 50 times or more with a few different dogs. One of them is still with me from 3 years ago.

As far as killing them goes, I guess it depends on how old the dog is & whether it's been conditioned to the gun. If we're talking about a young pup, clip the wings & let the pup have at. My dog never killed a pigeon by retrieving it, but we've had others that put the death shake on them, or clamped down just a bit too hard. You can probably expect to end up with some dead ones that way. If the pup has been condition to the gun, shoot them as live flyers.

You can use them frozen or thawed. I usually don't take the time to thaw the ones I use before needing them, but a thawed bird will better replicate the real thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My experience is to keep 1 in a small dog crate. When I placed 2 in the same crate they seemed to constantly attack each other. I was able to keep them alive for 3 weeks without much problem. I left a bowl with water and spread bird seed on the floor. I used them mostly for training 5-8 week old puppies. The pigeon did well by working with 1 puppy at a time, but usually only lasted a few sessions when the pigeon was exposed to multiple puppies because they would pull and tug. I used frozen birds but they are difficult for young puppies to grab and carry. If I wanted a dead pigeon I just used a pellet gun. I perfer the live ones for introducing young puppies because they move and create more interest.

Ed

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as killing them goes, I guess it depends on how old the dog is & whether it's been conditioned to the gun. If we're talking about a young pup, clip the wings & let the pup have at. My dog never killed a pigeon by retrieving it, but we've had others that put the death shake on them, or clamped down just a bit too hard. You can probably expect to end up with some dead ones that way. If the pup has been condition to the gun, shoot them as live flyers.
i wasnt referring to the dog killing them but a person. so that i can throw dead birds in the water for water retrieves. i would think it best for the bird to be dead so that it wouldnt drown while waiting to be retrieved but i could be wrong?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would say you don't want to throw pigeons in the water. They'll probably be plucked after a couple trips and some dogs chew wet pigeons like gum.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
i wasnt referring to the dog killing them but a person.?

1 stand at tailgate of pick up truck.
2 get pigeon out of bird box. Stop it from flapping, get it's wings under control and close down to it's body and hold in one hand, head up.
3 look all around in a full circle for tree huggers and the like.
4 in one smooth motion rap the head of the pigeon on the step and tow bumper of your pick up truck. Like you were starting a nail. top of pigeons head is the hammer, truck is the board.
5 with just a bit of practice you can kill a pigeon with one rap. Too hard, head may come off. Too soft, bird gets a bit mad and will try to get away.
note... often, at moment of death.... they poop! So watch out for that.;-)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a coop similar to the one posted by Hairy Dawg. I was lazy and bout a rabbit hutch at the local feed and seed store that looks very similar, other than it is a bit shorter. Works well for a half dozen pigeons.

As for killing the birds, I have hunted most every bird out there for 50+ years. I have tried pinching, pulling, wringing, banging and everything else in between. It all works. However, after getting tired of the flapping, bleeding, pooping, etc. I bought a gadget called a Fowl Necker Multi-Tool from Dogs Afield My hunting and training buddies all laughed when I first pulled it out. Now they either have one or ask to borrow mine. One quick clamp and the deed is done. It is as humane as anything going and is a lot less messy than most other methods. We also have "non hunters" and "non trainers" join in on training sessions from time to time ..... never hurts to get the "better half" involved, particularly when one is thinking about a significant training related expenditure. Regardless, the Necker goes down much better with the audience than wringing the neck and having the head pull off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a coop similar to the one posted by Hairy Dawg. I was lazy and bout a rabbit hutch at the local feed and seed store that looks very similar, other than it is a bit shorter. Works well for a half dozen pigeons.

As for killing the birds, I have hunted most every bird out there for 50+ years. I have tried pinching, pulling, wringing, banging and everything else in between. It all works. However, after getting tired of the flapping, bleeding, pooping, etc. I bought a gadget called a Fowl Necker Multi-Tool from Dogs Afield My hunting and training buddies all laughed when I first pulled it out. Now they either have one or ask to borrow mine. One quick clamp and the deed is done. It is as humane as anything going and is a lot less messy than most other methods. We also have "non hunters" and "non trainers" join in on training sessions from time to time ..... never hurts to get the "better half" involved, particularly when one is thinking about a significant training related expenditure. Regardless, the Necker goes down much better with the audience than wringing the neck and having the head pull off.

Thanks for the heads up on this product; I'll get one ordered shortly, as I have been wondering how I was going to 'break" the news to my GF that sometimes pigeons have to die in order for puppies to be trained....

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
To kill: take out zinger uplander place at about 25 yards load live bird. Get 870 and load with #8 field load. Say pull and have someone push the release button. Shoot bird in flight. It makes a nice live flyer.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
To kill: take out zinger uplander place at about 25 yards load live bird. Get 870 and load with #8 field load. Say pull and have someone push the release button. Shoot bird in flight. It makes a nice live flyer.
I would agree that this makes a nice mark for a dog, but with a young puppy, I'd probably hold off on this approach.

O.P.: churncreek is spot on as far as using a dog crate to keep a small number for a short period of time (they reproduce fairly quickly, so the crate might only work for a few months).

Not mine, but mine is similar:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would agree that this makes a nice mark for a dog, but with a young puppy, I'd probably hold off on this approach.

O.P.: churncreek is spot on as far as using a dog crate to keep a small number for a short period of time (they reproduce fairly quickly, so the crate might only work for a few months).

Not mine, but mine is similar:
well if they reproduce quickly how do you tell males from females to keep them seperated? is it anything like gators? stick your finger in the anus and see what you feel?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
well if they reproduce quickly how do you tell males from females to keep them seperated? is it anything like gators? stick your finger in the anus and see what you feel?
The females are the ones that lay the eggs :p

It ain't real easy (not to me, anyway). Most of the males have more masculine features (head looks a little larger). If you get a few of them, you can kinda sorta tell (a single bird by itself is more difficult).

You can always break the eggs, though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
TN labs, happy 2000th post! To answer the question ( sorta) I've found the males tend to have more colour then the females and they strut more. I'm looking for pics of my old pigeon coops, but Ive even used a whelping box with a fine netting over it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I think Lion Country Supply sells a set of pigeon coop plans or has it on their website.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For those of you that have the pigeon coups at your house. Do your dogs become disinterested or does their enthusiasm remain constant even though they can see and smell the birds at your home? I want to get a place to hold birds at but I was hesitant that the dog would become indifferent to them.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
For those of you that have the pigeon coups at your house. Do your dogs become disinterested or does their enthusiasm remain constant even though they can see and smell the birds at your home? I want to get a place to hold birds at but I was hesitant that the dog would become indifferent to them.
Not a problem getting my dog interested in pigeons. Mine could probably break in to the coop if she really wanted to, but hasn't n I don't expect she will.

Interesting enough, I also have chickens in the yard. My dog knows the chickens are off limits. The dog n the chickens get along splendidly, but I would never trust or expect my dog to walk among the pigeons.

·
Registered
107 Posts
1 stand at tailgate of pick up truck.
2 get pigeon out of bird box. Stop it from flapping, get it's wings under control and close down to it's body and hold in one hand, head up.
3 look all around in a full circle for tree huggers and the like.
4 in one smooth motion rap the head of the pigeon on the step and tow bumper of your pick up truck. Like you were starting a nail. top of pigeons head is the hammer, truck is the board.
5 with just a bit of practice you can kill a pigeon with one rap. Too hard, head may come off. Too soft, bird gets a bit mad and will try to get away.
note... often, at moment of death.... they poop! So watch out for that.;-)

Best post in the history of RTF right here!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts