RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, thanks in advance your any input. We have a person getting a puppy from us in a week whose older dog just came down with kennel cough. I am wondering how long they should wait before bringing the puppy into their home. I know that the dog can act healthy but still shed the organism. Would it be best to do an intranasal vaccine on the puppy about a week before him going to his new home. If so then how young can you start the intranasal vaccinations on a puppy? Also I know that after the intranasal that they can also show signs of infection and also spead it to other dogs/puppies. So what is the best course of action to take. Of course I don't want all the puppies to come down with it from vaccinating the one puppy. Also if I separate the puppy from the others then there is still a chance of them getting the symptoms no matter how clean I try to keep the house. Any advice would be great.

Danielle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Make sure that it is definetly just a kennel cough. Here in Pennsylvania we just had a spell of Canine Influenza going around. A few kennels had to shut down and disinfect for a couple weeks to ensure the virus was dead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. Their vet said that their dog had kennel cough and they called to ask me my opinion on when they should bring the puppy home or what they should do so that the puppy doesn't get kennel cough. The dogs at our place are all healthy. I am hoping that the puppy will stay that way so don't want to place it into his new home until I figure out the best strategy.

Thanks,
Danielle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I would ask your vet what is best for the pup. I believe the bortedella shot can be given at 8 weeks. The thing i would be concerned with is if the new home has been sterilized and the virus if infact was Kennel Cough had been completely cleared up. I may even ask the new client for a health certificate from the vet stating the dog was now free from the illness
 
G

·
caesarlabrador said:
Hi, thanks for the reply. Their vet said that their dog had kennel cough and they called to ask me my opinion on when they should bring the puppy home or what they should do so that the puppy doesn't get kennel cough. The dogs at our place are all healthy. I am hoping that the puppy will stay that way so don't want to place it into his new home until I figure out the best strategy.

Thanks,
Danielle
Have them ask THEIR vet. If you give advice and the puppy gets sick, it could be "your fault"... I wouldn't want to be "responsible" for the puppy getting sick and most of us here are not vets. I'd have them consult their veterinarian so you have a professional opinion from someone THEY trust on what's best for the pup. I'd ask your vet too.... And, of course, my interest would solely be in the health of the pup. so if your vet is more cautious than their's, I'd wait as long as whichever time is longest between whatever opinions you get!

And as far as the shot, remember that it does NOT cover all strains of bordatella. So I would wait until the coast is clear regardless of whether you can and choose to vaccinate the pup for it or not.

-Kristie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I agree with Kristie and would do what their vet recommends. Every vet has his/her opinion on the topic.

FYI at our clinic where we have a daycare for dogs on site if they have a cough our vet examines them and if it is diagnoised with kennel cough it is sent home for 2 weeks (depending on signs it may go home on antibiotics and cough meds or just cough meds). After 2 weeks they are allowed back to daycare if they no longer have a cough.

The incubation period for Kennel Cough is 3-10 days from exposer to showing signs.

If a pup/dog wants to come to daycare or board at our faciality and they don't have bordetella vaccination we vaccinate and then they have to wait 48 hours before they can come so they can build up some immunity. The longer they wait after a vaccine the better.

No vaccine is 100% and they may still come down with kennel cough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I told them last night to ask their vet for an opinion as opposed to asking me or my vet. They said they would do that and get back to me. I appreciate all your advice. My best interest is for that of the puppy so will keep the puppy as long as needed for things to clear up. They are a great home and I do appreciate them giving me a heads us that their own dog has kennel cough instead of just bringing the puppy home when planned.

Thanks,
Danielle
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top