RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have what appears to be a 24/48 hour bug going through the kennels right now. I know it's not uncommon for a little crud to run through the gang once in a while. And with us, it's usually this time of year if we're going to have a little bout of diarrhea or something roll through.

But this a little different. I've never had something where the dogs get lethargic. The first affected dog was a couple of days ago. she's normally super playful in the airing yard -- to the point where she gets in trouble at least 1/2 a dozen times while she's out there. LOL Well, the last two days, she would just go into the yard, potty and then lay down. But she's bright and alert. Just not running around. Her appetite also wained and she had some diarrhea. But, again, not deathly ill. So we monitored her, watched for dehydration, etc. Today, she was much much better, playing and active, although she still did not eat her entire dinner last night.

Then yesterday we had a couple more dogs start it, one was a little more affected and we almost ran her into the clinic late last night. Joie took her this morning and is going to do some tests to see if there's anything in particular going on.

Two more dogs are affected this morning. Those two aren't slowing down too much, but hadn't eaten all their dinner.

To complicate matters, we have a bitch in heat and I think she's what may be affecting the last two dogs (males).

Anyway, I was curious if anyone's had anything like this roll through. I'm guessing it's just a stomach bug...

the frustrating thing is half of the affected dogs are supposed to be running this weekend, so I'm hoping we can get them perked back up.

-K

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds like what Ellie had (only I'm about as far away from your area as you can get in the lower 48..)

She had 1.5 days of total lethargy. On the second day I had to call her out of her crate half expecting her to be dead in there, she was dragging that much. Not much appetite, didn't drink (she's usually a big drinker), just slept all day. Started on Sunday morning. So unlike her that we made a trip to the emergency vet's on Sunday (all results received so far have been in the normal range per my regular vet). Monday afternoon starting to revive and perk up again. Tuesday morning acting like her normal pesky self (ran her on a triple, but no other exercise). Today totally normal too (we're back to our normal training routine now).

She's still taking amoxicillin and doxycycline that the emergency vet prescribed in case it was Lepto (results due back today.. regular vet wouldn't even have tested for it, he's sure it's not that and I am too, now.. :roll: ).

Anyway, sounded a lot like what you're seeing.. Hope your dogs are better by this weekend.

Bente

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bente said:
Sounds like what Ellie had. (snip).

Bente
the first thing I did was look to see where you were because I couldn't remember off the top of my head... LOL yeah, about as far away as possible.

I've just never seen the lethargy so by itself (without many other symptoms).

My help is out airing the dogs right now, so I'm going to head out and see how they're doing.

I'm taking the day off because I don't want to stress their bodies if they're getting sick... I hate to do it. But I was just REALLY sick for a few weeks and wore myself down to zero (literally -- just had more blood drawn and I'm back to normal)... I don't want the same thing to happen to them.

Actually, what's "funny" is that what they have is like what I had -- no appetite and very tired (my wbc was down to 2.2 which is pretty bad -- supposed to be 4.4-10 -- now up to 9 as of yesterday). Anyway... Wonder if we all got something together???? LOL

-K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bente said:
Sounds like what Ellie had. (snip)Bente
Bente, do you remember if her WBC's were high? Joie's going to put everyone on doxy (that's affected). he said her wbc's were high and her platelets were low. I'm going to check on the other dogs.

The first thing he said was erlichia. We've been down in south georgia/florida almost all of the last month as far as hunt tests. Maybe picked something up down there??? Not sure... Didn't ask him what the incubation period was.

let me know what you find out about lepto. temp is normal on these dogs. Joie said lepto is usually accompanied by fever. it was the first thing I asked about after reading the thread on here...

-K

·
Registered
204 Posts
Her temp was normal (another indication that it wasn't lepto.. also, no jaundice)..

Her wbc was 17.4, slightly above the normal range (top normal 17.0 , I am told), but her regular vet wasn't concerned about that, he said that was close enough to normal not to concern him..
I don't remember about her platelets but I'll ask (I've got to return a call from her regular vet who called to check on how she was doing.. I'll ask about erlichia.. I don't know what that is... )

We've had a lot of flooding of our training grounds here lately. Don't know if she's picked up something from that..

Bente

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Hope they are better before the weekend. Lot of dogs in T'ville this week

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
badbullgator said:
Hope they are better before the weekend. Lot of dogs in T'ville this week
Relax, I don't take sick dogs to hunt tests...

And, ps, from what I understand it already went through the area...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Crude

Kristie,

The dogs might be suffering from the switch to Daylight Savings Time :wink: Don't you hate having to get started an hour earlier?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Crude

Lady Hunter said:
Kristie,

The dogs might be suffering from the switch to Daylight Savings Time :wink: Don't you hate having to get started an hour earlier?
LOL... I thought it might be the 80 degree heat yesterday, too!

Funny airing dogs in the dark again. Thought we were over that...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to give an update... meant to do it much sooner...

Joie took Audrey to the clinic with him Wednesday morning. Ran bloodwork. Platelets low, WBC high. Treated her with subQ fluids I think most of the morning and put her on doxycyline.

She responded immediately and is now back to her normal self.

He feels it was erlichiosis based on her bloodwork and how quickly it responded to the meds and fluids.

The first female that was affected resolved on her own and is fine now.

Then I have three males who seemed to be starting it, but I think their only problem is a bitch I have in full heat. I believe they have stress colitis as they all started having soft or full liquid stool... yuck. And they responded immediately to amoxycillin...

And then I think overall, it was the way it went from cool to hot within a day and I think it just slowed the dogs down.

Today it's cold, windy and rainy and they're nuts.

So I don't think, in the end, that we had anything viral or whatever going through the kennel. I think it was just a bunch of stuff at once, most unrelated...

Bente, if you're reading this, how's Ellie doing?

-K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a nine month old pup going thru the same thing. Listless, lethargic, weak appetitie, slightly high wbc, slightly anemic, fever.
Treated with doxy and amox, given fluids and after a few days coming around to normal. Vet not sure, thinks its a viral or bacterial infection.
I sure hope it doesnt run the course thru my kennel, I have 10 dogs!

·
Registered
101 Posts
What type of bedding do you use in the kennels, Straw, Mats or Cedar Chips. The reason I ask is I had somthing similar this winfter happen to 2 of mylabs, I took the 2 dogs to the vet and he asked if I used Cedar Chips or straw in the kennels. Once I told him I use both during the cold moths, He gave me a Antibotic and advised me to change the straw or cedar chips more oftenduring the colder wetter timed apparently they can produce a type of toxin when dam or wet and unable to completly dry like during the warmer months. Once I changed the bedding and took the meds, in a day or 2 they were both fine with no sysmptons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BLKLAB1 said:
What type of bedding do you use in the kennels, Straw, Mats or Cedar Chips. The reason I ask is I had somthing similar this winfter happen to 2 of mylabs, I took the 2 dogs to the vet and he asked if I used Cedar Chips or straw in the kennels. Once I told him I use both during the cold moths, He gave me a Antibotic and advised me to change the straw or cedar chips more oftenduring the colder wetter timed apparently they can produce a type of toxin when dam or wet and unable to completly dry like during the warmer months. Once I changed the bedding and took the meds, in a day or 2 they were both fine with no sysmptons.
I don't use any bedding in outdoor kennels. If it's cold enough, dogs all sleep inside at night in their own crates where they have blankets, sheets, pads and/or beach towels...

-K

·
Registered
204 Posts
Kristie Wilder said:
(-snip)
Bente, if you're reading this, how's Ellie doing?

-K

Sorry for getting back to you so late.. It's been a crazy week..

Ellie has been back to her normal self since Tuesday with regular training resuming on Wed.
Lepto came back negative as did the stool sample (everything normal).
I have continued her Amoxicillin and Doxycycline.
She ran a derby today and finished, so I'd say she's good to go..

Hope all is well w/ your dogs.

Bente

p.s. Ellie is a house dog / couch potatoe when she's not training. Sleeps indoors on blankets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts