RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about building a kennel in the back yard. Anybody have some designs or ideas? Just for a couple dogs, four at the most.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
No help here, LOL. We have welded wire kennels in the back yard on gravel with shadescreen in the warmer weather. Our dogs mostly live in the house, and won't soil their kennels. They're good out there for a day or overnight when necessary.

Mostly just bumping this up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure how fancy you are wanting to get. The last time I put kennels in the back yard I poured a concrete pad and used Mason galvanized wire panels. Had a two dog setup with kennels sharing one side wall ... so I needed three side panels, two back panels and two front panels with gates. I also installed top panels on both kennels. Decided to go with the dog boxes outside the kennel. You can go either way, just have to work it into to your design before ordering the panels. Mason sells a back panel with a hole near the bottom of the panel. Dog boxes were designed to match the hole in the panel. Installed a mesh sun screen on the top of the kennels. Ran water to the area of the kennels, which made clean up fairly convenient. All in all, a pretty sweet setup. We moved after I built the kennels and I took the panels and dog boxes with me. Finally had a move where the buyer requested that the kennels be left with the property. Last time I checked everything is still working well .... although the dog boxes have been replaced. Kennel panels are now 20+ years old.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I built a 30'x60' chain link kennel at my place with 6' sides. Also built a 6'x15' insulated inside kennel adjacent to the big one with two dog houses and storage for food and plumed in water pipes for a permanent waterer for my two dogs.Idk if this helps but its just an idea of what some people do.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Here's a design I had made that has inside/outside runs for bad weather with swinging doors.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Here's a design I had made that has inside/outside runs for bad weather with swinging doors.

Troy is that you walking the dog in the picture?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
HA! I'm not in the sun THAT much! I made those mochups on Google Sketch actually.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Here is mine when I was putting the roof over it. Runs are 5 x 10 and barrels are hung so it's easy to wash under them. I think Ii am going to come off the front and make another side where the trailer is sitting to provide more shade in late evening and to park my dog trailer under. So it would have an "A" roof instead of just the "lean to" type look. I have black metal on it to match the black metal roof on the house.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the black metal roof keep it hot? All these are really nice set-ups.
Thanks for all the ideas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts