RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i gotta around to thinking (dangerous) and a lot of the people i know have those big metal dog boxes with fans blowing in and another turbine or fan that lets hot air out on the top. so i wondered is it possible to make the same contraption with a regular plastic kennel?

i was thinking i'd take one of those $14 battery controlled fans sold at gun dog supply and mount it low on the door (so cool air would stay low and not get sucked up by the second fan). then i'd cut a circle in the top of the kennel (ruff tuff) about the size of the actual fan but smaller than the housing and mount another fan backwards where it'd suck air out and blow it out.

this way you'd have air blowing in the front and sucking the heat off the top. any thoughts? practical? not really?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I wouldn't want to cut a hole in a >$150 crate.
I'd start with one fan and see how that goes (u might find that to be sufficient).

If anything, I'd try to find a fan that moves more air than the 6" model you're considering. I know a lot of folks swear by those Endless Breeze fans. I have a 10 inch fan (one of those cheap O2 cool models) and it's worked fine for me.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
When we have to switch to the plastic kennels when we use just cheap clip on fans that plug into your cirarate liter in the car. The osolate to the work well. Can't use the box kennels when pulling the 5th wheel. Dogs keep cool with just those. We also drilled holes in the back of the kennel for more air movement.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When we have to switch to the plastic kennels when we use just cheap clip on fans that plug into your cirarate liter in the car. The osolate to the work well. Can't use the box kennels when pulling the 5th wheel. Dogs keep cool with just those. We also drilled holes in the back of the kennel for more air movement.
I use basically the same thing but haven't drilled any holes in the kennel nor do I set it to oscillate. The fan clips to the lower edge of the kennel. So far the pup loves it as he lays down in front of it and just relaxes.

David

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Do any of you folks put bags of ice in the crate with the dog? I only have a plastic crate, and I am possibly going to a training day this weekend that will involve at least a 1.5 hour ride back in the heat of the day, which will be around 95. Of course I could always let him ride back in the back seat of my truck.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Do any of you folks put bags of ice in the crate with the dog? I only have a plastic crate, and I am possibly going to a training day this weekend that will involve at least a 1.5 hour ride back in the heat of the day, which will be around 95. Of course I could always let him ride back in the back seat of my truck.
Take a 2 liter or similar jug, fill will water...you got yourself a cool dog and a cool drink.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have heard of people taking the dog food or drink bowls and filling with water and freezing them overnight and putting it in there for the rides to and fro

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Take a 2 liter or similar jug, fill will water...you got yourself a cool dog and a cool drink.
This works very well. I've also just bought the cheapest gallon of water I can find at the store (usually around $1) and frozen them when I didn't have
2 liter bottles around. The dogs love it and it it definitely helps keep the kennel cooler.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just get some cheap battery fans from walmart...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here's a question that Ive had some debate about... If only running one fan, do you have it blowing into the kennel or face it the other way to draw the hot air out of the kennel?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Here's a question that Ive had some debate about... If only running one fan, do you have it blowing into the kennel or face it the other way to draw the hot air out of the kennel?
In theory, it makes little difference since with heat sinks air flow increases heat transfer, not direction. Blow air in and it forces air out. Pull air out and it brings cooler air in. Ideally, one blowing in and one blowing out would work well to control the source of the intake and outflow but mostly it would work better since it would move more air.

As a practical matter, though, since the tongue, lips and ears are so important to dog cooling (the entire dog is not created equally for heat transfer) I put them blowing in to focus more air on the panting face (assuming your dog faces the door in its crate).

The one that always gets me is if I want to use the fan in my chassis mount to move air though the dog boxes, shouldn't I close the breezeway doors for maximum effect. Or does the breezeway itself move more than the fan could? I go around on this one--too complicated for me.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In theory, it makes little difference since with heat sinks air flow increases heat transfer, not direction. Blow air in and it forces air out. Pull air out and it brings cooler air in. Ideally, one blowing in and one blowing out would work well to control the source of the intake and outflow but mostly it would work better since it would move more air.

As a practical matter, though, since the tongue, lips and ears are so important to dog cooling (the entire dog is not created equally for heat transfer) I put them blowing in to focus more air on the panting face (assuming your dog faces the door in its crate).

The one that always gets me is if I want to use the fan in my chassis mount to move air though the dog boxes, shouldn't I close the breezeway doors for maximum effect. Or does the breezeway itself move more than the fan could? I go around on this one--too complicated for me.

thats what i was going for. one outflow mounted up and turned backwards and one inflow mounted low in front pointed in. but like you i think i was just over thinking it

·
Registered
125 Posts
If the back of your truck is open ( no camper) your dog should be fine while you are driving. No ice needed to cool the dog, it will just make a mess in the botom of the kennel anyway. The air flow should be more than sufficent to keep the dog cool.
JB

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just use the Ryobi P3300 fan. I have 2 batteries and they last all day.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Cool. Just assigned a new project to one of our summer interns. He is going to measure the relevant aspects of my dog truck and then use his high priced, partially-complete engineering education and some modeling software used for duct/fan and cooling tower design to tell me the optimal way to do it. Then he is going to wash the truck :) Just doing my part to enhance the education of the future leaders of this fine land...

·
Registered
278 Posts
With Out a whole lot of engineering and calculations, Just get in the crate and have someone drive you around and you can feel what would be best. ha,ha. I use a fan like Phils but mine is a craftsman works good and if needed you can use it on yourself.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I just use the Ryobi P3300 fan. I have 2 batteries and they last all day.

Two people with nice goldens I know were talking about getting a few tonight...looking on the iPhone for stores with inventory...LOL...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts