RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the proces of planning the 2 run kennel I am building and my wife wants to use a residential fencing . I wanted to use the prifert panels but my wife wants it to match the res of the fence. My concern is the spacing between the pickets. What do you think? Here is a picture of it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Tell her it will be ok but you'll have to run "chicken wire"(pronounce it shikin ware)all across the inside. She may see it your way then. :wink:

Actually if all you are looking to keep in is adult dogs it may work. Another option would be to have some custom built to match the exterior fencing.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Size the picket spaceing according to the size of smallest dog you intend to have in the runs.
If they can't get their head through they can't get through.
I would be more concerned about them digging under if it wasn't on a hard/concrete floor.
john

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am putting a smooth concrete floor down. I did look at the black chain link and while I like it the wife does not. My concern with this fence was that the spacing was to large as well. However my 8 mth old pup can not get his head through it now, he could four months ago though.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Think yer makin' a mistake! If yer gonna put kennel runs in, put kennel runs in, no compromise!!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Animals can find more ways to hurt themselves than we can ever possibly imagine. I'm with Polock!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Polock said:
Think yer makin' a mistake! If yer gonna put kennel runs in, put kennel runs in, no compromise!!!!!
I'm with Polock. Also, I think kennel runs would at least 2' taller that the fancy fence. It looks like the existing fence is about 4' tall. If he ever goes over it "once" then you will have to put up a 6' fence, preferably(sp) with a top.

·
Registered
47 Posts
dan
the priefert is a ton of money. went to a local fence guy and he was able to build me whatever I wanted out of galvanized chain LINK. IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT COME ON OVER THE GUY IS 2 MINUTES UP THE ROAD FROM ME i M NOT FAR

KEEP SWINGING

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
This is kind of an old post but I was wondering if anyone was familar with the Magnum Kennels?

Margo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kennel Fencing

Do not use Priefert, I have eleven runs under roof and they are only five years old and they started rusting year before last and Priefert wanted me to spend another thousand dollars to replace the defective panels after I had already spent over three thousand dollars on the kennels. I don't think so.

Look at Mason Kennels site and use the heavier grade wire. They have a very good product.

My old kennels were the galvanized poles and fencing and were fifteen yrs old before they started rusting. I made a poor choice in Priefert.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Margo Ellis said:
This is kind of an old post but I was wondering if anyone was familar with the Magnum Kennels?

Margo
I recently bought from Lowes for $470, but I think they are discontinuing them at least where I live. It would cost $100 more for me to order one from the local Farm Cooperative.

On the Preifert site, it says that the Preifert Kennels have every wire welded to the frame. That is not the case with the Magnum Kennel, but I am impressed with mine. It costs a little more than twice the cost of the cheaper 11 gauge kennels, but it is steel. You could set it up on cinder blocks and walk on it. No dog could destroy it. Where the paint has been scratched, it has turned brown from rust. It needs caps for the posts, which were not included. I have some other kennels, but wanted to have one that was secure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Kennel Fencing

Bob Region said:
Do not use Priefert, I have eleven runs under roof and they are only five years old and they started rusting year before last and Priefert wanted me to spend another thousand dollars to replace the defective panels after I had already spent over three thousand dollars on the kennels. I don't think so.

Look at Mason Kennels site and use the heavier grade wire. They have a very good product.

My old kennels were the galvanized poles and fencing and were fifteen yrs old before they started rusting. I made a poor choice in Priefert.
I am with Bob on the Priefert Kennels- I like everything about them except that they are rusting badly after only 7 years and need to be replaced and I have 30 of them ;OUCH

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have had my prifert kennel up for 4 years now. It has never rusted! It is the most atractive fencing available. I don't know why you other guys had the problems. Priefert is #1 on my list. I have a 20x5 with smooth concrete down, and a custom roof I made.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Kennel Fencing

Pasquatch said:
Bob Region said:

I am with Bob on the Priefert Kennels- I like everything about them except that they are rusting badly after only 7 years and need to be replaced and I have 30 of them ;OUCH

UPDATE: I am awaiting a shipment of new Priefert Kennels. I have been in negotiations w/ them for some time as I was very disappointed w/ my last purchase from them. I just wanted to let people know that Priefert is now Galvanizing their kennels before they powder coat them. In the past they were only powder coated. I thought I would pass on this info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts