RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two year old that has started having issues in his kennel. He has even broken the kennel trying to get out. He was very good until 6 months or so ago, he works himself up till he is a panting mess. I am looking for ideas of how to retrain him for the kennel. He just throws a fit within about 20-30 minutes of being put into it. I have tried the plastic crates, wire mesh kennel, and now a metal kennel that was cut off a three hole to make it a two hole. I would appreciate any ideas or help on what I can do to help him out.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I have a two year old that has started having issues in his kennel. He has even broken the kennel trying to get out. He was very good until 6 months or so ago, he works himself up till he is a panting mess. I am looking for ideas of how to retrain him for the kennel. He just throws a fit within about 20-30 minutes of being put into it. I have tried the plastic crates, wire mesh kennel, and now a metal kennel that was cut off a three hole to make it a two hole. I would appreciate any ideas or help on what I can do to help him out.
Thanks
You could try a comfort zone collar with pheromones and see if it calms him down.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does he do it all the time, or only if you are where he can see you? We have a BLF that is spastic in her kennel if we are within sight and she can't get to us, but watching her on kennel cam, she's calm as can be when we are not around. I think she has separation anxiety - hubby said she's just psychotic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He does it when we are seen and unseen. Yesterday he had the wire crate turned over on its side and had pushed so hard on the door he unlocked it. He's very strong.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If this dog has been crated since a pup and he has been fine up until now, I would take him to the vet for a complete work-up...and especially a thyroid panel. A thyroid inbalance can create behaviorial issues.

Is he intact? Do you have female dogs in season or nearby in season?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
go out and run his butt till he is tired, use some of his energy up do marks make him follow the truck down a gravel road let him hunt the ditches - or a 4 wheeler works too leash him when cars or trucks come down the road most dogs can go 15 to 25 mph for 20 to 45 min start slow and short when the dog slows down quit and then kennel him up for a bit then after 30 min of rest train him which will engage his mind then kennel him again-I have seen kennel aggression issues fixed pretty quickly by exercise

·
Registered
675 Posts
go out and run his butt till he is tired, use some of his energy up do marks make him follow the truck down a gravel road let him hunt the ditches - or a 4 wheeler works too leash him when cars or trucks come down the road most dogs can go 15 to 25 mph for 20 to 45

I had to do this as well with the one in my avatar. He had to be roaded daily if not every other day or there was no living with him. Even towards the tail end of hunting season he was still raring to go and was still getting roaded on the way to hunting at 2-3 in the AM to get some of his piss and vinegar burned off. He was even roaded on the way to training days during the off season. That was a daily ritual for 8-10yrs. of his life. When he got older and developed and was confirmed arthritis in an elbow, the vet said no more roading. So we took to swimming and that was nothing for him as well. He would be out there swimming and chasing the Asian carp for 3-4hrs. a crack and not touch bottom, just continuous swimming.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ditto what Frontier said.

But if all is well with health, then Google "Crate Games" It will come up with several sites showing a new method by a famous Agility guru in Canada named Susan Garrett, to make dogs love their crate. You can see the method on short videos on You Tube or you can order Susan's DVD. It's amazing and it works on the most hyper, driven dogs in the world.

Good luck, I board dogs for a living, so i feel your pain.

Jennifer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Talk to a board certified veterinary behaviorist ASAP. If there is not one in your area that your vet can refer you to, have your vet call and talk to whoever is closest. It's not safe (or humane) to let the dog continue to be that anxious in his crate. A consult is a lot cheaper than the vet care to put a dog back together after he gets severely injured.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Talk to a board certified veterinary behaviorist ASAP. If there is not one in your area that your vet can refer you to, have your vet call and talk to whoever is closest. It's not safe (or humane) to let the dog continue to be that anxious in his crate. A consult is a lot cheaper than the vet care to put a dog back together after he gets severely injured.

Great now we have dogs with ADHD, befor you go to the trouble and exspence of a "veterinary behaviorist " Try to get together with a training group daily, walk the dog, run the dog, ect. try to stimulate his mind and body daily AM and PM.

Is a "Veterinary behaviorist" the short term for a DOG SHRINK" just wondering. All I know for sure is

A tired dog is a good dog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts