RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on moving in about a year and transitioning from the Marine Corps to a civilian job. A couple perks I have right now is being able to bring my dog to work with me. I know I probably won't be as fortunate in the future and will probably buy a house.

What I'm thinking:
- 3 kennel run that has a roof over it (each roughly 13 feet wide x 40 feet long)
- Kennels are attached to a garage that allows access to the interior (10X13 each dog with central heat and air)
- garage will be 40X40 with 2 bay doors to store boat and truck and wash both in winter time

What kennels do you guys go with, any ideas, insight, pics are appreciated!

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Are you saying each RUN will be 13 ft by 40 ft? If so, why are they going to be so big?

WRL

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't know how big they normally are? It is something I'm looking at for when I have to work to keep the dogs safe and be able to be outside but have heat/ac for shelter from the elements and obviously a roof over the run itself, maybe overkill but the wheels were turning.

How long and wide would you have each run, and how much inside space that will be for each dog in the garage?

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
I would say "most" runs are about 50 to 100 sq ft (some are smaller some are larger). So a 10 x 10 or 5 x 10 should work. If you are going to do inside and outside, and have lots of room which it looks like you do, I would probably do 5 x 10 runs inside and 10 x 10 outside (or 5 x 10 outside also).

Different kennel panels come in different lengths/widths so you might want to look at them before ending up with a final dimensions and then not having them fit well where you want them.

WRL

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
4'X12X6, 9 gauge wire, 1 1/4 inch mesh, laced to bottom rails with galvanized wire, Mason Fence Company, they have replaceable aluminum feet so nothing to rust out, they will last for years and when you move you can move them. They have a design person who will help you with indoor/outdoor design

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Mason makes a good product. 22 yrs ago I bought used (4'X16') fence from a friend who was moving. They might have been 10 yrs old? They still look great. Mine have the "puppy panels" on the doors. The "pro" is that you can set a bucket down in front of the door and open it; "con" is that you always have to step over it.

(Mine are outside only. The dogs come inside a pole barn with 4'X4'X4' concrete block houses with hinged lids and kennel deck on the floors. In winter they have a shipping crate in there filled with straw.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts