RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...I see alot of people have multiple dogs and keep them all in separate kennels, why is that. Pros and cons? I have two dogs and they are kept together in a very large kennel (outside 30'x60'). Just wondering if im doing something wrong... thanks!!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
As long as they get along I don't see any issues. I keep mine together in a 35x90 kennel and no issues.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Because they spend their time playing together and are worn out or not interested in training when it comes time. Airing together is one thing, being constantly with another dog with no down time alone can lead to training issues, especially young dogs. Not always, but often enough. So you need to learn to read the dogs and what might be affecting them in training. Training should be the most exciting highlight of the day, not playing with another dog and making training look like drudgery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 1 year old and a 9 month old who grew up in the same kennel. Is it a bad thing to split them up now?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Because they spend their time playing together and are worn out or not interested in training when it comes time. Airing together is one thing, being constantly with another dog with no down time alone can lead to training issues, especially young dogs. Not always, but often enough. So you need to learn to read the dogs and what might be affecting them in training. Training should be the most exciting highlight of the day, not playing with another dog and making training look like drudgery.
Not to doubt you, but that makes no sense to me. Mine are always together and they get more wound up when I pull them out to train.
So keeping them together will effect them when we get ready to go hunting too?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Not to doubt you, but that makes no sense to me. Mine are always together and they get more wound up when I pull them out to train.
So keeping them together will effect them when we get ready to go hunting too?
Why am I not surprised? The OP asked why people keep their dogs in individual kennels. Training is one reason, another is obvious enough that I didn't think it needed explanation, i.e., breeding/fighting. Of course dogs can live & play together, I did specifically say to read the dog for training issues. This OP had a thread about his dog being sluggish during retrieves, one of the reasons given was too much free play time with the other dog. I can tell when a pup of mine is having way too much fun and bonding with other dogs and needs more alone time to get it to focus on training. Many who train for upper levels of a finished dog will put up our dogs in crates/kennels for at least a while before a training session.

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Not to doubt you, but that makes no sense to me?
Why am I not surprised? The OP asked why people keep their dogs in individual kennels. Training is one reason, another is obvious enough that I didn't think it needed explanation,....

this is exactly one of the reasons why, the other day I urged RTF kids to seek out the wisdom of the those who have walked the path for the long years before.
it is the perfect example right here. A person asks a question. A good question. The question is answered, correctly I might add. Then is told that it makes no sense.
And here we all are trying so hard to be a peanut and tippity toing around everyone and worried about what word to use and about the feelings of melanoma 69
when it was so simple in the old days when somebody would simply type
"Goofball! What is to doubt? You have training issues, health issues, solicitation issues and even escape issues. If one chews through the fence they are both gone."
AND THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO YOU???????
Pull your fricken head out of the sand, throw away the rose colored glasses and listen to the old folk.
All you goofy little so and so's and so pathetic with your "I doubt that is right" crap it makes me want to scream!!!!!!!!!!
Keep all your dogs together in the base of an old corn silo in the dark for all I care. Because obviously YOU KNOW it will not affect their field performance at all!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Go, Ken. ;-)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

this is exactly one of the reasons why, the other day I urged RTF kids to seek out the wisdom of the those who have walked the path for the long years before.
it is the perfect example right here. A person asks a question. A good question. The question is answered, correctly I might add. Then is told that it makes no sense.
And here we all are trying so hard to be a peanut and tippity toing around everyone and worried about what word to use and about the feelings of melanoma 69
"Goofball! What is to doubt? You have training issues, health issues, solicitation issues and even escape issues. If one chews through the fence they are both gone."
Pull your fricken head out of the sand, throw away the rose colored glasses and listen to the old folk.
All you goofy little so and so's and so pathetic with your "I doubt that is right" crap it makes me want to scream!!!!!!!!!!
Keep all your dogs together in the base of an old corn silo in the dark for all I care. Because obviously YOU KNOW it will not affect their field performance at all!!!:rolleyes:
Can I use my ecollar on my husband? We are having trianing issues in regards to your syrup, he won't keep his hands off my pancakes. Will this affect his field performance?

To Opie--sorry about GDGing your thread. If I was you I would keep them apart for all the above reasons.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey there folks great thread,i never heard of this so id like to learn more about it from some folks who have several dogs and living outdoors. i currently let mine live together and have made a kennel for such living quarters ,i see them play as spoken and seemed very relaxed but when its time to load up they all no there box and they stay that way all day thru the training day except for airing with is easer to air them all at onces and let em burn some steam off , ether than that separated all day and when it come time to come to the line there ready not saying they are good or bad but very focus on the game .my thinking was that they would sit in there sepperate kennel when not training and be bored or build up stress and create different problems. so any ether folks who have a family of dogs outside living,and don't get to train every day ? would the difference be more of at a training facility were all day and everyday there worked or if not and a home setting one might fair differently,? thanks again

·
Registered
9,355 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Gosh Ken, I just hope my dogs don't all try to chew out of my house today when I'm not looking. :rolleyes:

Folks, do what makes YOU comfortable and happy. They are your pets (hopefully they are pets anyhow) and bottom line, if they are decently trained, fed a good diet, vetted as needed, socially adept, and you are happy with one another, you've done better than many of the folks out there.

·
Registered
227 Posts

What he said. Bravo Ken!

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Gosh Ken, I just hope my dogs don't all try to chew out of my house today when I'm not looking. :rolleyes: .
dogs in a house with you are not "kenneled" are they?
while they may be "crated" and yes that will save in dry wall,
unless your home is a futon in a boarding kennel that is not kenneled.
it does not address the why, the original question.
You all can "what if" and "ya but" all you want to try to make yourself correct in your own mind.
That is not my particular point at all.
When "WE" say kenneled we mean an unsupervised dog in a pen.
If you are stupid enough to let you dog crew through the living room wall as you sit there I am sure they will be better off with whomever ends up with them.:confused:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Quick question...I see alot of people have multiple dogs and keep them all in separate kennels, why is that. Pros and cons? I have two dogs and they are kept together in a very large kennel (outside 30'x60'). Just wondering if im doing something wrong... thanks!!

I keep mind separate to prevent trouble. Lock 2 of anything up together in a confined space and eventually they will get on each others nerves. It could be as simple as each of them wanting to drink out tof the same bowl at the same time. One might get mad and the 2 are captive with no escape route for either.

Side by side in separate runs they have both companionship and their own space.
IMHO there are no "pros" multiple dogs in one space just potential "cons".

JMO

Tim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts