RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a marsh that I would like to plant a food plot around/in, with ability to flood. What is the super recipe that ducks can't resist? :D:cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Popcorn and crackers :)

·
Registered
6,057 Posts

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Abby : I don't know what they grow in Indiana, but if you can grow smartweed, duck potato,or millet and then manipulate the water level over those, then that would be ideal

·
Registered
789 Posts
In all seriousness, contact your local DU biologist. He will give ya the skinny for your local area, what works and grows in that climant and what doesnt.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Millet and Milo in early Sept.
Can't keep them out of it.

Gregg Leonard

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you're going the millet route, then you should use chiwapa millet. It has the largest seed head out of any of the millet hybrids. More food for the birds means you'll hold the birds longer.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
if you can grow smartweed, duck potato,or millet and then manipulate the water level over those, then that would be ideal
This is what we do, as well. With a mix of jap and chiwapa millet. Chiwapa gets expensive if you are doing a lot of plots.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
All aforementioned great examples... Do check with your local biologist by all means. We've had great luck here in the IL river bottoms with Soybeans and Millet. However when it gets cold and the mallards are here, tough to beat flooded corn for all the carbs...

Best of Luck,

Richard

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
You don't neccesarily have to plant anything. The seeds that already exist may be enough. If you can regulate your water,,,drain it in early summer,,let the plants that grow ,,,come to seed,,then mow it. A week before the season put a foot or 2 of water in it. After a couple of days a few ducks show up then they tell their friends . After a week you may be getting tornado's of them.
I did this with mine. And I had good shooting till the ponds froze. Then I drained them and started all over. I pulled ducks off the millet ponds which a duck club uses. They are the property adjacent.
I guess they prefer tobacco weed over millet.

Pete

·
Registered
952 Posts
Corn works well. Plant it in November and December.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're going the millet route, then you should use chiwapa millet. It has the largest seed head out of any of the millet hybrids. More food for the birds means you'll hold the birds longer.

Only problem w/ Chiwapa is you need 120 days for maturity. I personally like mixing WGF Sorghum w/ brown top millet & Jap Millet. Short growing stuff. Height & time. Got that exact mix about 12" right now all over our duck hole. Just rigged up a po-boy irrigation system on it today. That's the big problem with growing stuff this time of year....WATER!!! or lack thereof.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Japenese Milliet, Flooded sorghum or clover

1 - 20 of 22 Posts