RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband loves loves loves to fish. I like to fish. If I am catching. LOL.... He really wants to live in a place that is close to ocean fishing (think SE US) and less than 30 minutes to water, I really want to be in a place where I can also still train my dogs and potentially run them in events (and be less than a couple hrs drive away)/

Where would these places exist?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Scotland has some of the greatest wing-shooting anywhere on certain estates and not to mention world class Stag hunts! Salmon and trout fly-fishing-not so much warm water altho some for sure. However, not so sure certain other criteria of yours would be met!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about the Pacific Northwest? Lots of dog clubs in WA and OR.

Meredith
Have lived there - grew up in Eugene, actually (whether that is good or bad, I don't know... hahaha! ) .. Love the coast and it was probably my favorite place as a kid. If I could talk my husband into S Or... that would be pretty nice. But I think he's preferential to anywhere from TX to FL/SC/GA areas.... He spent some time with his dad fishing down there and I think that is the draw. Familiarity.

Paul - Pretty much anything that swims under water that he can catch and eat.

this is definitely a 'down the road a few years - 5-10 - sort of thing. Nothing immediate. We like it in MO. Have considered finding an investment type of property, but I don't think the dogs would work well into that sort of situation. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have a retriever or two to train.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lots of great lake fishing in North Texas (Texoma, etc) and the coast is very driveable if he wants to get salty. Great retriever training, except for summer, due to the heat.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Too many dangerous critters and humidity in the south for me! Grew up down there and will never go back, even for “vacation.” There was a story this week about a Labrador getting eaten by a gator in South Carolina! Buggers are moving north.

Meredith

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
There are too many things to consider if you are 5-10 years away. Cost of living unless you have unlimited financial resources and living within reasonable proximity to high quality medical care (because stuff wears out) should be high on your list. I would be extremely cautious about making a financial commitment anywhere if retirement is a decade away, lots can change between now and then.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are too many things to consider if you are 5-10 years away. Cost of living unless you have unlimited financial resources and living within reasonable proximity to high quality medical care (because stuff wears out) should be high on your list. I would be extremely cautious about making a financial commitment anywhere if retirement is a decade away, lots can change between now and then.
that is true - but it would be great to know what areas offer both. We could decide to move in a year or 3 or 5 or both of us may be pushing up daisies by then. Or the world could go to hell in a handbasket.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
that is true - but it would be great to know what areas offer both. We could decide to move in a year or 3 or 5 or both of us may be pushing up daisies by then. Or the world could go to hell in a handbasket.
You might have to settle on 3 out of 4

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
How does one deal with the alligator threat in GA and FL and elsewhere? I would never want to put a dog in the water down there. Even with ”dormancy” in the cooler weather, those monsters can wake up and take a dog.

Meredith

·
Registered
856 Posts
How does one deal with the alligator threat in GA and FL and elsewhere? I would never want to put a dog in the water down there. Even with ”dormancy” in the cooler weather, those monsters can wake up and take a dog.

Meredith
In all the places we train we don't have any to worry about Meredith. on most private property you are pretty good on not seeing any gators. Now sometimes they may come to a place with bigger water. but they are not there long before being taking care of. have run all over GA ,MS Al Nw fl and have only seen one on property stated below

Exp for one property we are stuck doing land only. its next to the river and they coming in often. even the pond in the upper end land owner wont let us kill it. would think with cattle using it he would.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I would put South Georgia on the list, then. Probably at the top, really. Downside is the heat, May thru September. Very hard to do much training then...-Paul
early morning and done by 10 ish...

Def south GA ,Mid to south AL NW.FL .. But with most of these you'll be farther than 30 min to the salt water. We are in NW>fl on the AL line it takes us 35 to 45 min to the gulf dep on where we are headed.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Lake Fork is a world class bass lake. It is about 90 miles east of Dallas. I am fairly certain there are plenty of trainers and tests in that area.Lake Gunnersville Al. is just south of the Tennessee line and is another world class bass lake and is part of the Tenn. River. There are a ton of trainers in that area both pro and amateur. Also both HRC and AKC clubs in the area. You can find tests all around that area during the season. It is close to Huntsville Al. You could probably find a test within 350 miles every 2 out of 4 weekends or more during the season. If he likes fishing tournaments, there are at least 1 or2 every week. Dr. Ed could tell you about what is around Lake Fork better than I can about dog training.

·
Registered
560 Posts

Meredith
Alligator control=.243😁

Reactions: saltgrass
1 - 20 of 64 Posts