RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the hunt test, field tests and field trial game and am trying to learn as much as I can.

Outside of training I am wanting to learn the most I can about my pup's lineage including both positives and negatives but more importantly genetic issues (outside of EIC, CNM, Hips & Elbows).

Example I have learned M.D. Houston and Nellie B Good are both carrier's of MFRD and dwarfism. As well as Harley to go is thought to of produced pups with overshot and undershot bites. I was curious where most breeders obtain all their information in-regards to finding genetic issues outside of word of mouth?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Honestly aside from all the health clearances that are spelled out in black and white. All other issues and quirks associated with certain lines are either from personal experience or word of mouth. Best you can do is have a list of issues that you might ask a breeder about, they usually know their lines. They are usually very candid and really do try to produce the best healthiest litters they can. Other than that being around different dogs from different lines for a few generations, you start to see trait that get passed on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
RD/OSD can now be tested for genetically through OptiGen. PRA-prcd is another genetic disease which causes blindness for which we now have a genetic test for.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
You live in one of the best , if not best FT areas of the US. Equally HT clubs as well. Join several clubs, listen , ask ,learn BEFORE you buy. Get Gooddoginfo.com which lists health issues. MN also is one of the few states that offers a one year canine MN Civil Law for health/purchase price protection. Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Elbows: CT Scan 1 ---- CT Scan 2 Why doesn't it say normal? Don't get caught up the flavor of the month club...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly aside from all the health clearances that are spelled out in black and white. All other issues and quirks associated with certain lines are either from personal experience or word of mouth. Best you can do is have a list of issues that you might ask a breeder about, they usually know their lines. They are usually very candid and really do try to produce the best healthiest litters they can. Other than that being around different dogs from different lines for a few generations, you start to see trait that get passed on.

That's what I was thinking, so far that has been my personal experience (learning more from people that are heavily involved versus the internet). The more I'm at tests and trials the more I have started to distinguish lines I like and don't like. Marshaling has been extremely beneficial for absorbing info from judges, as well as chatting with the pro trainers.

I know a great breeder locally that knows many of the lines very well as well as my pups breeder down in NC but didn't know if there were other resources I could utilize as well online that I wasn't already aware of!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts