RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people think of their Kuranda beds, specifically what type of fabric did they choose and why? I've read what the website says about each fabric, but it doesn't mention how the fabrics holds up. Any information based on experienced use would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at Kuranda beds for a while now and am not sure which fabric to go with. I'm also trying to figure out what size to get, but am leaning toward the XXL. I have three labs that currently love to wedge themselves on one bed to cuddle, even though they each have their own bed. If the beds are as good as they sound, eventually I will probably get more, but have to start somewhere to see if they work.

Any info would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at the website and read multiple reviews. The reviews focus on the overall bed, mainly the frame and do not mention the type of fabric selected or how the fabric holds up. The warrenty states they will repace the fabric or parts for up to one year, yet I'm wondering if it is good enough quality that it wouldn't be necessary to replace the fabric multiple times of year. I've done my research on the web. I'm looking for information from people that have actually used the beds with their own kennels or homes. Getting honest feedback from first hand experience is what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have tried several of the fabrics, and I prefer the nylon without the backing. Easy to wash, lasts well. I have a couple of "diggers," who eventually wear through the fabric, but it doesn't happen often.

I also get the ones with the metal or plastic covered edges. The pvc is ok for dogs that don't chew at all, but young dogs will gnaw on the PVC. I even had one flip the bed over and eat the end caps off the legs.

Meredith

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is a good thread on the topic.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69135&referrerid=48637

I think the poster that said do a search, meant do a search on here. There are quite a few threads on the subject. Personally I have the vinyl weave because it is an outdoor bed, that goes with the dog to the trainers. It has held up well and the dog seems to find the fabric comfortable.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have looked at the website and read multiple reviews. The reviews focus on the overall bed, mainly the frame and do not mention the type of fabric selected or how the fabric holds up. The warrenty states they will repace the fabric or parts for up to one year, yet I'm wondering if it is good enough quality that it wouldn't be necessary to replace the fabric multiple times of year. I've done my research on the web. I'm looking for information from people that have actually used the beds with their own kennels or homes. Getting honest feedback from first hand experience is what I'm looking for.
I meant search this website.

http://retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78773

http://retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76335

http://retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73470

http://retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69135

I went with the nylon weave about a year ago, the bed is in like new condition.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have used a number of different types of bed for our kennels. The Cooleroo beds are metal frame with a weave type cover which wears quickly and the bolts rust to the metal legs. The Kurunda beds connecting elbows were plastic and cracked after a while when bolted. I replaced the elbows with the metal ones and that stopped the cracking. The material is a heavy canvas but it doesn't drain when washed or hosed off. Takes quite a while to dry but the dogs at least don't chew up the material because there are no loose ends to grab hold of. I did, however, have one dog that chewed the PVC leg right off the bed. Now I prefer the Pipe Dreams beds because there are no bolts involved. You just push all the pieces together. The material is again a weave type material but better constructed than the material for the Cooleroo beds. They can chew up the material if they are so inclined. If you have extremely destructive dogs, nothing is 100%. I've even had a dog escape its kennel and chewed the door knob so badly, it had to be replaced. I've had a dog work on the chain link on the gate of his kennel and finally escape and the strangest one was a Ridgeback that actually climbed right over the 6 foot chain link in the kennel.

Arleen

·
Registered
697 Posts
I bought a kuranda bed in 2003. Have replaced the coated nylon fabric once in 2010 or 2011 after a dog ate a hole through it. I have replaced a couple of the corner pieces and one or two rubber end caps. It hoses off well and dry quickly in the sunshine. I couldn't guess the number of conventional stuffed fabric beds I have been through in those 8+ years. I think it was a very good purchase.

Swack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.