RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me about the vaccination for Lyme disease ? Does it work and is it safe ? recommended ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
All of mine are vaccinated and have been for approximately two years also.I don't know if it works but the vet I have used for over 20to years recommended it.That was good enough for me.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My vet recommended Lyme vaccination of my dogs over a dozen years ago and we have always done the annual shot. None of my dogs have ever had Lyme and they are tested yearly. Dogs in our training group have all had Lyme at one time or another and have been treated periodically with antibiotics.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Merck has just come out with a new Lyme vaccination that shows great promise. The research and clinical trials on it are very exciting.

I have vaccinated my dogs for past 20 yrs and have only had one dog get Lyme disease. I believe he got it because he came to me in June at 8 weeks and could not receive the first vaccination until 12 weeks of age. The ticks were very bad that year and he got infected prior to his vaccines building immunity. The rest of my dogs have been Lyme free.

I also started using the Scalibor collar on them last year. I can't say enough good things about them. They last 6 months (really they do). No irritation to the skin even on my pittie mix who is white and has sensitive skin. The collars don't smell bad, don't leave powdery residue all over and I don't have to worry if my cats sleep with the dogs. They are completely unaffected by water. My dogs have worn the collars since last May and I have not found a single attached tick on any of them. I live in MA and train in MA,CT, RI and NY, really heavily tick infested areas. I come home every day from walking or training the dogs with ticks on me, but nothing on them. I wish they would come up with something like this for people.

Dawn

·
Registered
71 Posts
"I don't have to worry if my cats sleep with the dogs"

I would worry!

·
Registered
164 Posts
"I come home every day from walking or training the dogs with ticks on me, but nothing on them. I wish they would come up with something like this for people."

Why don't people in tick infested areas use a product like Sawyer Permethrin Aerosol Spray or Permethrin Clothing Soak? It's readily available through REI and other stores. It repels ticks and lasts on the clothing for about 6 weeks and can be washed about 6 times.
A while back I sprayed my clothing with a dog spray that had permethrin and when my buddy and I hiked through an area that had ticks I had none on me while he had about a dozen.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had our puppy vaccinated at 12 wks with absolutely NO side effects. Vet said they rarely give these shots around our area because not many hunters. But HIGHLY recommended if we were going to hunt him. Our trainer also suggested we get the shot for our puppy. Plus the ticks are terrible this year so we weighed the options. But so far so good:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've seen my dad do it from time to time. He takes promethrin and delutes it a little and puts into a water bottle to spray on his pants when he runs the hounds. He takes the bottle and sprays it on the dogs just a quick light misty sweep over the whole body. He only does it once and says its probably not good for the dog. But i swear you can see the ticks jump off. It works good. I wash my clothes in promethrin. Just wondering how bad of an idea, health wise, it is to do the "quick misty sweep."

·
Registered
639 Posts
I also started using the Scalibor collar on them last year. I can't say enough good things about them. They last 6 months (really they do). No irritation to the skin even on my pittie mix who is white and has sensitive skin. The collars don't smell bad, don't leave powdery residue all over and I don't have to worry if my cats sleep with the dogs. They are completely unaffected by water. My dogs have worn the collars since last May and I have not found a single attached tick on any of them. Dawn
Do you use any other topical tick/flea preventative like Frontline while using the collars?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts