RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Satuday (the 21st) after training I got my dog out of the crate & he whimpered a time or two then went into the house & he laid down but I noticed he would only lay down on one side, he acted like when he tried to lay down on his other side it was bothering him. That afternoon he was fine & just though he might be having a cramp or something at the time. Well this morning I let him out to go take care of business & he came up to me & I petted him on his side (on his ribs) & he started whinning again like it was hurting him. I fed him this morning but he didn't eat right away, which is unusual for him. I cant think of anytime he might have injured himeself or ate something out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any guesses to what might be causing the pain?

Thanks,
Matt

G

·
fowl hunter said:
the Vet might. not trying to be a butt.
well, I don't think the vet is causing the pain... ;)

But a trip to the vet IS in order.

Could be a number of things from a fractured or otherwise injured rib, could be an internal obstruction...

Sounds like radiographs are in order. DEFINATELY go to the vet.

That's an odd place for pain. If it was a foot or leg, I personally would wait it out. But pain on the side isn't common...

-K

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the Vet might. not trying to be a butt.

The vet will just ask me to bring him in, which I will, if he his still in pain when I get home from work, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar case?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Kentucky Lab wrote:
The vet will just ask me to bring him in
I don't mean this to be rude, but I would much rather bring my dog in & find out that he's ok than second guess & see if something progresses. They can't tell us what is wrong & paying the vet for x-rays & their expertise is money worth spending and the dog deserves that at the very least.

M

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hate to be a downer - had a similar thing occur about 7 years ago. Came home from a biz trip on a Wed nite. Dog was excited to see me, went out, played fetch, all fine. Came in, dog was uncomfortable trying to lay down - let out a pretty big 'old man noise' (9yo dawg). Went to pat his side - painful, no real abdominal distension. Raced to the vet to be sure all ok and no blockage/bloat. Radiograph showed cancer with mets to the lungs and heart.

Hope you get a much better result than we did...you'll be in our prayers...

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
One of the labs I was working with had a pain in the side also -- sucker would not give up the bird. He does now. :wink:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You would be better served by taking the dog to your vet instead of asking folks here that ARE NOT Vets!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts