RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my ten year old clm came up lame two weeks ago after a walk outside with my other dogs. He was slow poking around behind everyone and when we called him to catch up, he yelped, then came running up limping on his hind leg.
Took him to the vet, who looked for thorns, moved the leg up, down and around, and put him on antibiotics for 10 days :?: because she thought the pad was swollen and said to give him some anti-inflammatory too. Well, he is still limping. When he is outside in the snow, he runs around and seems okay, but in the house, you can see he will not put his whole weight on that back leg, he kinda walks on his tip toes.

Of course, I am worried about ACL or some other major thing, but have no experience with it what so ever. He still "sleds" off the bed and couch in the morning, and doesn't show any pain when you move or extend the leg. Should I take him back to my regular vet for xrays, or directly to an ortho? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
hi Lennie,

i don't want to jinx you, but you're the one who brought up the ccl issue... :(

did your vet check for "drawer" movement at the knee? they would have stabilized the upper leg and pulled forward on the lower leg. this is a good indication of injury to the ccl.

if they didn't check for "drawer" i would see an orthopedist. enough time has passed for the drugs to have affected the inflamation.

hope it's not so....-paul

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul,

Thanks for the reply, actually, she did pull forward and kind of rotated it, she said she didn't "hear" any popping or noise, so she didn't "think" it was a problem in the knee. I just don't know what to look for in these types of injuries, so I am still skeptical!

I have my fingers crossed, because I don't want to think about surgery at his age. :roll: But I don't want to waste alot of time chasing a diagnosis either.

P.s. "Haven't heard from you in a while...give my best to Ann and the "girls" hope you are staying warm there in CT"! Thanks again

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Has the dog been tested for Lyme disease.? Just a thought. Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, not tested, but I do vaccinate so if I test now I will get a positive read I think.

It is a good thought and being in this part of the country, always something to think about. Esp. with the warm weather we "had" earlier.

I tend to feel it might be more injury related because there was no limping before the "yelp" on the walk. But I do appreciate any and all ideas!

Thank, Jim.

Which brings up another question, how do they test for Lymes when a dog is vaccinated?
ps I'm hijacking my own thread!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I believe if it gives a positive it will be a mild color change. I had 5 dogs tested and all were clear except one, he came through as a strong positive,all have been vaccinated for lyme. It was a snap test we used, and the color for a positive was blue , I can't remember how many dots means lyme and/or heartworm. Jim

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Jim, I know the vaccine is not 100%. And sorry to hear about your dog. It is a tough disease to fight, although most of the dogs I know that have it have made out better than most of the humans I know who have gotten it!

Good luck, I hope you get the answers and the outcome you need.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Go to a orthopedic vet because it does'nt sound like your vet has alot of experience with this stuff, country vet? Sound's like CCL to me, I hope not!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
one more thing; all 3 of our current dogs have torn 1 ccl. all 3 also had intermittent limping prior to the complete tear. did you have any of that this fall?

we are all fine and as warm as we can be in this stuff! hope everything turns out ok. say hi to Barry for us!-paul

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your input. How old were your "pups" when they has this problem?

In my research, it looks like "age" can be a factor in CCL. It doesn't look good for Cody....but we are going to the Ortho on Saturday. He is very active and only a couple lbs overweight so I think all those years of running marks have taken their toll. But we will know soon enough!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts