RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just purchased a small piece of land (12 acres) near our home in eastern NC.

Our primary plan and goal is to clear it and build a small technical pond (about 5 acres) and a swim-by pond. This land was logged about 5 years ago and is growing up with small trees and brush. It is in a low area so a pond from the research I’ve done and the people I’ve had look at the land should fill and hold water, from the ground water.

We are prepared to do this work ourselves over the course of time and as money permits. What I’m hoping for is that someone on this board could provide some contact information on government federal and state agencies or private organizations that may provide grants and or technical expertise in this project.

In addiction to dog training we are all about developing good habitat for wildlife. We view this as a long term project, and once complete anyone in the area will be welcome to come and use it for dog training.

Thanks in advance for any help / incite researching the various possibilities that exist.

Aslos any gotcha's or things to look out for would be helpful.

Jeff

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would contact your local Army Corps of Engineers district office. Just google USACOE and you'll find the main page. With any work that involves wetlands or waterways they are generally the best bet to start your permitting needs and technical specifications discussion. They will also direct you to state and local authorities. As far as grant programs I would start with your local conservation district. Generally they will have contacts for private organizations that may have programs in place for this type of work. The other thing you can do is ask someone at the USACOE about mitigation banks and the requirements you would have to meet. Essentially a mitigation bank is where you construct and maintain wetlands privately and when construction activities destroy wetlands in your area you are able to sell/lease acreage from your bank (for some serious money) in order to replace the lost habitat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts