RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I started my dog on Lardy's E-collar conditioning. We are using a Tritronics g3 sport basic. For those unfamiliar with the collar it has ten levels of C and M labeled 0,.5,1,1.5,2,2.5....5. I began with the sit command and was looking for a reaction and I didn't see a real reaction until I got to a level 3. The reaction was just a simple head turn nothing very serious and no one else would have seen it as a reaction. So I turned up the stimulation to a level 4. At that point I finally got a decent, very noticeable reaction. Once I found that reaction I left it there and continued the session with another 6-8 nicks both with the command and then transferring into nicks when not responding punctually. Possibly seeing a little lagging towards the end but it may have been that he was getting tired of the session. I do think he associated the nicks with me because after the session when throwing a few fun bumpers he was very timid when returning with the bumper, took few stern “heres” the first time or two to get him in with the bumper. So with this I have two questions.

One, for those of you who have gone through the program or others (and with the short description above) how do you think we did?

Two, already using the level four on my collar (which I tested on myself and it is not a pleasant level 4…unpleasant enough for me to not even try a level 5 on myself) is that a problem? Should I try the longer prongs with the collar?

·
Registered
923 Posts
From your description, IMO, I would back off the juice. "stimulation" is what you are after not electrocution. That first twitch was your cue.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I haven't seen the DVD. I have seen Mike CC a dog.

It is hard to fully diagnose problems online.

You want the collar correction to get the desired response. Too little and it is nagging and the dog will ignore it. Too much and you may get negative responses. If you have a dog that generally desires to please you and you find you are having to repeatedly correct the dog for something there is a problem. The dog doesn't understand what you are asking it to do. The dog doesn't understand what the correction is. The dog doesn't understand how to respond to the correction. Or, the correction is either too much or two little.

When in doubt don't correct. If the dog was being disobedient they will do it again and you can be confident in your correction.

Tom

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Without seeing your dog, I probably would have trained at 3 and moved up to 3.5 or 4 if I didn't get much behavior change. Better to use to little and move up than to use to much and move down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts