RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Should clubs that usually have a large Amateur stake start the Amat. on Friday?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clubs frequently start the Q on Friday. Starting the Amat instead would not be that much of an additional strain.

What's the general consensus?

Tim

·
Registered
553 Posts
dogs

It's already being done Tim. Randy

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think South Jersey did that last weekend didn't they? I know the Q started on Saturday so I can only assume the Am started on Friday. To answer your question, I don't see a problem with it. What's the reason that the Am has generally always started on Saturday? I'm sure there are several reasons and I have a few in mind but would like to hear from folks who may know.

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
Having the Amateur start on Friday creates a problem for the working stiffs of the world like me. Taking a Friday off for many means taking a vacation day. Fridays are a busy day in my business and most of the time too busy for me to take off! Amateurs are for Amateurs and that means Saturday and Sunday.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mr Booty said:
Having the Amateur start on Friday creates a problem for the working stiffs of the world like me. Taking a Friday off for many means taking a vacation day. Fridays are a busy day in my business and most of the time too busy for me to take off! Amateurs are for Amateurs and that means Saturday and Sunday.
That is the main reason I had in mind Booty. Same for me but I've been running Derby and Q stakes since I started running FT a few years ago so I'm used to it. I assume that is reason enough that most clubs still start the Am. on Saturday.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tim Carrion said:
Clubs frequently start the Q on Friday. Starting the Amat instead would not be that much of an additional strain.

What's the general consensus?

Tim
The additional strain will be on Sat. morning when the Open is still running their quad, the Am is still running its triple and the Qual is trying to find bird boys for its triple. How many birdboys/flyer shooters can one club have. Usually the Qual finishes on Friday so on Sat. morning you have the Open still going and the Am starting. Just my .02 worth.
I'm curious to see how metros turns out. I'm assuming the Qual will start Sat. morning and the Derby will start Saturday afternoon? This can't be wright. There is no was they will be having Open, Am, Qual and Derby going on at the same time. Somebody set me straight.
I just looked at EntryExpress. The Open, Am and Qual all start on Friday morning. They must have a lot of help. I hope it turns out good and dosen't turn out to be a cluster. JK . I am going to try to make it to that trial for the first time. It's only 350 miles from my house. That is only half the distance that it is to my in-laws and I still never leave Texas.

WAH - Who think there will be a lot of shuffuling of dogs on Friday.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
The Open, Am and Qual all start on Friday morning.
I like it 'cause it has at least three judging panels and gives the D/Q adequate time, three days if need be, to complete.
Good luck with it.
john

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Metro

If an amatuer starts on friday, you will definately limit your entries.

Amatuers usually have to work on Friday.

I personally think this is a ridiculous idea.

Example, I am flying to Jayhawk this Friday night. That allows me to run my dog.

If the amatuer was on Friday, no Jayhawk for me.

Not that I matter though. :cry:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
It's not about restricting numbers. It's about giving Amateur judges adaquate time to judge.

Open judges get sympathy with a 100 dog Open with 3 days to do it. What about AM judges with an 85 dog Amateur and only 2 days? Usually getting 2nd choice of land, throwers, marshals, equipment, etc..

For Metro, the decision was based on the fact that we are the week prior to the National, and on the way to the National for just about the entire country. It's going to be BIG trial and we will not be caught with our pants down - well i might, but that will have more to do with # of ritas than # of entries.

Shayne

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not about restricting numbers. It's about giving Amateur judges adaquate time to judge.

Open judges get sympathy with a 100 dog Open with 3 days to do it. What about AM judges with an 85 dog Amateur and only 2 days? Usually getting 2nd choice of land, throwers, marshals, equipment, etc..

For Metro, the decision was based on the fact that we are the week prior to the National, and on the way to the National for just about the entire country. It's going to be BIG trial and we will not be caught with our pants down - well i might, but that will have more to do with # of ritas than # of entries.

Shayne

I understand it's not intended to reduce numbers, but was wondering if it had had that affect or not.

Mid IL may move our am up to Friday for our spring trial, maybe.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Shayne ,
Does your entrynet draw program have the ability to minimize conflicts in the first series between dogs running the various stakes including the Friday conflicting minor stake.
Even if it only addresed the Open and AM it would help.
That along with some good marshaling would go a long way toward a smooth trial.
john

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
john fallon said:
Shayne ,
Does your entrynet draw program have the ability to minimize conflicts in the first series between dogs running the various stakes including the Friday conflicting minor stake.
Even if it only addresed the Open and AM it would help.
That along with some good marshaling would go a long way toward a smooth trial.
john
Absolutely. Don't forget, the event secretary has the ability to adjust it to catch anything my script misses, ie: If John Fallon is listed as the Handler of Dog1, and Dog2's handler is Pro1 or Owner - and John Fallon is the owner, my system isn't smart enough to catch that. http://www.entryexpress.net/screenshot.aspx?id=22

Shayne

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Shayne

So Shayne,

As I am a working amatuer, how do you expect be to be able to run my dog on Friday at Metro?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would ASSume that if the am were to start on friday chances are that the AM numbers could go down due to people having to work. It also would be that people that normally run the AM on Sat. only would come and run the open. Following this line of thought wouldnt the open numbers increase? Just thinkin :? I thought I heard a complaint about large #s in the open someplace :shock:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Re: Shayne

Ken Guthrie said:
So Shayne,

As I am a working amatuer, how do you expect be to be able to run my dog on Friday at Metro?
If you were a true buddy, you'd be there to help work the trial on Friday anyway.

I've missed 8 days of work in the last year for field trials (ironically, i've only ran 1 in that time frame). While i would never encourage Fridays to be the norm, i think the trade off for giving judges an extra day to judge 85-90 dogs is very much worth it.

Shayne

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Re: Shayne

Shayne Mehringer said:
Ken Guthrie said:
So Shayne,

If you were a true buddy, you'd be there to help work the trial on Friday anyway.

I've missed 8 days of work in the last year for field trials (ironically, i've only ran 1 in that time frame). While i would never encourage Fridays to be the norm, i think the trade off for giving judges an extra day to judge 85-90 dogs is very much worth it.

Shayne
Ken
Shayne will run the dog on Friday , you get there Friday nite or Sat. ,ready to pick up (the pieces) er...where Shayne left off.
AKA for the Am that can't make it on Fri. .
get a friend to run the dog till you do get there.
john

·
Registered
573 Posts
John,

Lone Star will always be an O/H.

And it will always start on Saturday.

PS - Starting Ams on Friday will push a bunch of people to "designated handler status".

1 - 20 of 91 Posts