RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Should clubs that usually have a large Amateur stake start the Amat. on Friday?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
The Open, Am and Qual all start on Friday morning.
I like it 'cause it has at least three judging panels and gives the D/Q adequate time, three days if need be, to complete.
Good luck with it.
john

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Shayne ,
Does your entrynet draw program have the ability to minimize conflicts in the first series between dogs running the various stakes including the Friday conflicting minor stake.
Even if it only addresed the Open and AM it would help.
That along with some good marshaling would go a long way toward a smooth trial.
john

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Re: Shayne

Shayne Mehringer said:
Ken Guthrie said:
So Shayne,

As I am a working amatuer, how do you expect be to be able to run my dog on Friday at Metro?
If you were a true buddy, you'd be there to help work the trial on Friday anyway.

I've missed 8 days of work in the last year for field trials (ironically, i've only ran 1 in that time frame). While i would never encourage Fridays to be the norm, i think the trade off for giving judges an extra day to judge 85-90 dogs is very much worth it.

Shayne
Ken
Shayne will run the dog on Friday , you get there Friday nite or Sat. ,ready to pick up (the pieces) er...where Shayne left off.
AKA for the Am that can't make it on Fri. .
get a friend to run the dog till you do get there.
john

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Big numbers, are big numbers, no matter who is handling the dog.
The consensus is that after "X" the first series sometimes ,er.... more often than not , becomes something less than as good as it should be
Again, most think, that this is a function of big #'s with not enough time.
The Sat (2 day),rather than Fri(3 day) Amateur is one of the contributing factors for this .
The O/H rule could/should be tweaked to allow some D/H on a scale below the threshold of abuse.
In a stake awarding Championship points, The "Quality of the Testing" must be the controlling factor.
john

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
A FT Run without an Open would only shift the large numbers From club "A" without an Open, to club "B" that is running one .
It would not be a solution for the problem in general.
Most, if not all Pros would just travel to a trial that they normally did not run
Most of the Armatures with dogs on the pros truck would follow along and overload club "B"s Am as well.
Might help club "A" but it would sure F&%K club "B"up.
john-not even going near the two club two AM suggestion

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
OWNER / AMATEUR HANDLER ONLY TRIAL.

This is Gordon Heldebrandt's answer to Ted Shih's question stated in the string "Letter to the AKC:"

Quote:
There is no minimum number of stakes offered. AKC policy 6-13 (3-95) states Clubs are not permitted to offer an Amateur All-Age stake (or Owner/Handler Amateur All-Age stake) without holding an Open (or Limited or Special) All-Age stake at a Retriever Trial. Permitting an Amateur All-Age without holding an Open All-Age would be discriminating against the professional and this policy has been in effect for over 20 years. An Open may be held without the club holding an Amateur as the Amateur may enter the Open, thus no discrimination.

I don't think what happened last year with the Pro run trial, will happen again soon.
john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.