RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another great issue, kudos to all involved!

There is a "DON'T MISS" article by Marcia Schlehr entitled "Judging the Golden Retriever--A Discussion of the Breed Standard". JMO but probably the best article I've ever seen about breed standard and judging.

A couple of noteworthy excerpts....
"....powerful, active dog.....having the requisite strength of limb and body, coupled with suppleness and agility, to enable the dog to perform the activities of a working retriever in all sorts of terrain....the working retriever does not often have the pleasure of trotting across a smooth lawn in a pretty show gait.....Active means capable of action, NOT that the golden is a "hyper" dog, incessantly in movement....

"....not clumsy not long in the leg.....we must guard against any trend toward, on the one hand, becoming overdone, cloddy, clunky, and awkward in movement; on the other hand, going toward a leggy, lanky dog or the tall and racy speed demon....we are at this time facing a trend toward Goldens that are too short on leg and/or long in body. This may make a nice, even trotting gait in the show ring, but it does detract from ease of movement over rough terrain and the ability to gallop and to leap....

"....he should be shown in hard working condition....the muscles are very firm and well developed, but not overdone...the body's lines are not blurred with fat....it is extremely rare to find a golden in the show ring that is in anything approaching top-quality condition (it is nearly impossible in labradors)....

A great article. Worth reading if you find the time. I'm a huge fan of Marcia's.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
..might have to hide my speed demon in the closet for the rest of his life...

Too bad, great marker, blinds..focus...clearances..terribly fast..long in the leg?, or perhaps not laid back in the shoulder as much as he should be giving that effect...but length of body and physical condition IMHO is outstanding. Can't always have it all..

Outstanding temperment as well regards,

Judy

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The article is, as the title says, about proper judging of the golden retriever in the breed ring as it relates to the breed standard, not about what style of dog you should own for whatever dog sports in which you participate.
To each their own.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I must give it a read. Also, check out Jeffrey Pepper's column.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I really enjoyed Jeffrey Pepper's column (p. 144) as well. He and Marcia are of like mind when it comes to judging goldens.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Like you said to each his/her own.
NOT a fan.
Sue

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sue, can you tell me what in the article you found objectionable?
I doubt it was the part where she says they should not be fat, nor the part where she says it's almost impossible to find a show golden in good condition, nor the part where she says the trend toward short legs and long bodies is very bad, nor the part where she says they should not be clunky or overdone.
So I'm curious what parts of the article you didn't care for.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
me too Laura!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have my issue in front of me, but if I remember right, in a nutshell, he said that show goldens are over-groomed and have legs that are too short these days, making them appear to move fast but it is inefficient and incorrect. Perhaps GDGNYC can say if I remember that correctly.

I Have not seen the new issue but I have seen things he has written that have made my blood boil. No wonder why there is a breed split.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
John, your mailbox is full! :( ..tried to send an inquiry as to how "Jake" is doing in his retirement...miss watching his FT results..and Congrats on "Lucy" just recently as well!

Judy

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It was an excellent article by Marcia. It is VERY hard to find a dog in hard working condition in the show ring. Even in the CCA, unless the dog is also doing extensive performance work. I think all of the points she made were well stated and made sense.

Dawn

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
John, your mailbox is full! :( ..tried to send an inquiry as to how "Jake" is doing in his retirement...miss watching his FT results..and Congrats on "Lucy" just recently as well!

Judy
Thanks Judy,

I'll clear it out one of these rainy days! Jake is doing great. Still training almost every day. He's probably done with field trials. Possible gains are not worth the risks. Hope to hit it hard with Lucy and Annie this year.

Are you going to make it to the Specialty this year?

John

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Good to hear about "Jake" .. ! Hoping to bring Sebec to Purina Farms..

Judy

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I don't have my issue in front of me, but if I remember right, in a nutshell, he said that show goldens are over-groomed and have legs that are too short these days, making them appear to move fast but it is inefficient and incorrect. Perhaps GDGNYC can say if I remember that correctly.
You do have it right. What bothers me is the grooming that hides faults. The comment about short legs actually made me laugh,

·
Registered
244 Posts
I went to a Pat Trotter Seminar and she mentioned Marcia Schlehr in several of her slides. She put up several golden retriever slides to discuss the shoulders and leg positioning. They looked very similar to those that were in the latest issue.

She slapped a slide up of working golden in the field as good example of movement. She went over conditioning. She told one women to show a dog in confirmation the dog must be exercised with the handler on a daily basis.

She said goldens as a breed are in trouble. She said she can't stand a blown and moussed one in the ring. She says she had to go down the leg to see where is the bone. The breed has become too much coat and bone. It must change.

She said labs and goldens must be worked in ring and the field. What a fire cracker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts