RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decent areas to train are pretty scarce in my area.

So... A friend and I are considering leasing an area from a local cattle farmer. We are looking at approximately 500 acres of pastures and lakes. Some areas are decent, but overall this place is not ideal for dog training (large bodies of water w/ few features and some of the land is very rugged). However, due to lack of options I'd like to make an offer to lease for next year anyway - need more variety in my training areas.

I would like to make a deal for access to all areas at any time for approximately 8 months per year (hunting "off season") for training. I'd be willing to limit # of people at a time, etc. (probably 3-4 trainers / vehicles max). I initially tried to package dog training w/ hunting rights but hunting season is already leased for this year. So... this will be a deal for dog training only.

- Does anyone have any experience w/ an arrangement like this?
- If so, what is a fair amount?
- I'm an amateur trainer w/ 2 dogs (not sure if that matters)

Because the property is far from ideal for my purposes, I don't want to over pay. However, I also don't want to offend the land owner by "low balling."

Any help is greatly appreciated - Feel free to PM if you prefer.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I lease two areas both year round 1 for $55 per month the other considerably less. Land owners will pretty much dictate what price you may end up paying. Don't pay more than you should just to have training area that isn't ideal. I also keep both insured , not that expensive, talk to your agent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you aren't infringing on the farmers normal schedule and not requiring him to do any thing extra to maintain this lease then nothing is really a low ball. The way he is looking at it is that this nut wants to pay me $ just so he can train his dog. Sure $200 would take my wife out for dinner a couple times and have some $ leftover for a nice bottle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts