RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup stays inside the house when I'm home but when we are at work he's outside in a kennel run. He is just about 13 or maybe 14 weeks old and we've been doing this for three weeks now. Tomorrow we are supposed to get some thunder storms and I'm worried he's going to be afraid of the storms and that might possibly make him gun shy. So far during winds storms and stuff he loves being outside. Two days ago we have a pretty decent wind storm and he kept pretending he had to use the bathroom so he could outside during it.
I'm probably just being paranoid because all of the labs I had growing up were strictly outside dogs and we never had a problem but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I would be more worried about excessive wind, something blowing over, etc. than thunder sounds. Pretty young pup to be outside, unless it is an indoor/outdoor run.

Meredith

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point. It has a natural wind block on two sides of it.
Two days a week my finance and myself work like 14 hours each so we have no choice but to leave him outside. I've got friends that stop by and let him out a couple of times on those days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has a dog house. He can get our of the weather. The run also has a concrete floor and is covered.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am retired so when we had a thunderstorm I took the pup to the beach for playtime and treats. That way I can evaluate the response of the pup to them and create positive associations with the storm. Not sure if it helps but,…

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it kills me to have to leave him but I gotta work to afford him. I will let you know how it works out. Hopefully it does thunder to bad. So far he's loved the rain and wind so we shall see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I completely agree. I mean we never had a second thought about leaving them outside all day back then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if he has shelter he will be fine.
thunder will not make him gun shy.
Oh he has shelter. The next problem is that he eats straw like it's Ribeyes. He eats long grass and straw so bad. I'm worried he's gonna get a blockage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts