RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never.....ever....leave I high drive dog at her first test were she can view a dozen or so live flyers shot before her turn to go to the line....smdh :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha....it happens.....she ran over the mark on the walk- up, picked up the flyer first on the double, stared down the memory bird, and when sent, promptly ran over one of the lay down goose decoys, after which she had to be handled to the mark....wagging too amped up

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Never.....ever....leave I high drive dog at her first test were she can view a dozen or so live flyers shot before her turn to go to the line....smdh :mad:
LOL!!!I agree. And you don't understand why they can't contain themselves when it is time for them. Got to love it.:D

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Why was your dog watching the test before her turn?

If she ran the test that she watched, that's considered unsportsmanlike and would be a serious handler fault. If it was done multiple times, you could have been expelled from the test.

This basic rule is true whether you are playing in AKC, UKC, or NAHRA events.

Eric

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
When you are airing your dog, stuff happens. Is it right on what you say.....That depends on you, the dog, the judges and the marshall. I believe the goal is......Hopefully not just a ribbon, but the learning experience as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why was your dog watching the test before her turn?

If she ran the test that she watched, that's considered unsportsmanlike and would be a serious handler fault. If it was done multiple times, you could have been expelled from the test.

Eric
she could see from her crate in the back of my truck......which was parked between two pros, one of which is a friend of mine. At 90 degrees, I'm not closing that crate up because someone might think I was cheating. I guarantee she wasn't the only one that could see the test from the parking area.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Could you have parked with your truck facing another way - blocking the dog's view with the cab? And perhaps park as far as possible away from the loud gun shots.

However it isn't just watching the flyers being shot that amps up the dogs at the tests, it is everything....just excitement in the air.... smelling all the hunt test smells, live birds, blood, other dogs, & adrenalin coursing through handler's veins. Hearing all the sounds, doors slamming, shot fired "Guns up!"..."Dog to the line!"..."Plant the blind"....etc....

An experienced handler will help the dog to overcome all that excitement, will slow everything down and keep his commands soft and simple, and maintain control of the dog from the truck to the line.

Good luck to you on your next run!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could you have parked with your truck facing another way - blocking the dog's view with the cab? And perhaps park as far as possible away from the loud gun shots.

However it isn't just watching the flyers being shot that amps up the dogs at the tests, it is everything....just excitement in the air.... smelling all the hunt test smells, live birds, blood, other dogs, & adrenalin coursing through handler's veins. Hearing all the sounds, doors slamming, shot fired "Guns up!"..."Dog to the line!"..."Plant the blind"....etc....

An experienced handler will help the dog to overcome all that excitement, will slow everything down and keep his commands soft and simple, and maintain control of the dog from the truck to the line.

Good luck to you on your next run!
Thanks, this is what I'm getting at, and I should have turned the truck around. As far as everything else, I train her in the same manner everyday of the week as far as how its done at a test, flyers twice a week, dead ducks, and simulate everything else as best we can. She is a very high strung dog in training, it was just amplified at the test.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Focus! Watch pro handlers. ThEy park close enough to be convenient and far enough away to not screw up the dogs. Time to get smart grasshopper

/Paul
I'm not a pro or am with a truck full of dogs so I think less about convenience and more about keeping my dog as far away as reasonable, with the back of the truck facing away from the test, when looking for a parking spot.

As someone else said, all that isn't the be all end all as there's no way to totally avoid all the sights, sounds and smells of a test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts