RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First trip out on a nice day.. Have been fishing in Feburary, but to cold to fool with camera. Nice day today. I am just outside of town..

Mountain in background named "Sleeping Bear"

Section of public river..Pre spring run off , low flow

Typical of a few smaller Rainbows I caught.

Heafty Brown trout! Good battle..

Just a beautiful early Spring day in S.W. Colorado..

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm ready for spring here in Texas, the sand bass are just starting their run ,bass fishing is hit or miss and the big catfish are laughing at me.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
beautiful photos Gooser. Looks like you've found a good spot to fish. :) Catch any cutthroats around there?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
beautiful photos Gooser. Looks like you've found a good spot to fish. :) Catch any cutthroats around there?
Top secret,, but YES!! same places i found them 35 years ago! my legs arnt what they use to be though! :) If you find cuttthroats,, wild fish,, its very important to make sure you lift your headup and take in the scenery! Those beatiful fish live in the most stunning places..

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Colorado Green back Cutthroat trout.. State fish of Colorado....

They are making a comeback... But the ones who have been here awhile,, live in places like this...
Late Summer,up high,, but still below timberline.. Beautiful places..

The picture of the fish isnt a greenback, but rather a common Cuttbow (cutthroat rainbow cross) caught in town.. Still a beautiful fish..

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We also have "snake river" strain of cutthroat

Reactions: KwickLabs

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The three recognised strains of cutthroat that evolved in colorado are

Colorado river cutthroat: Drainages west of the continental divide
Greenback cutthroat trout: South platte and Arkansas river drainages
Rio grand cutthroat trout: Streams that drain into the san luis valley..

There are 14 different strains of cutthroat ,,but the three that evolved in Colorado are the ones above.. I think the most common caught by anglers in high mountain lakes are the colorado river cuttthroat..

The greenback was thought to be extinct in 1930 something,, but fairly recently,, through purebrad breedings,, they are successfully being introduced in select streams that are blocked so brook, rainbow, and others cant enter.. So far the effort has been succesful.. isolated places. for sure..

I think I have caught rio grands here in SW colorado, but Im not an expert...

Cutts in wilderness areas, are all beautiful special fish to me, specifically because of the typical places they live.. Usually require a bit of a walk uphill.... The ones I've caught are tiny.. maybe 8 " max in lenght.. most times 5 ot 6 inches long in small streams. a bit larger in lakes 10 to 12,,, a 14 incher a lunker.. :) Of course fish tails will tell of fish in lakes to 45 lbs... :) I hav'nt seen or caught one.. Mostly small like brookies.. another favorite,, but just for the pan.. or stick,,, like a marshmallow!! bones and all! :)

Reactions: O.clarki

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These two books will get the adrenaline flowing, and make you yern to chase grouse, and fish for cutts in wild places.. Fun books to read.. Not many pictures though,, lots a words, that I have to look up... still fun..

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
OK Gooser, you have two choices:

1)
Stop posting these photos.
OR
2)
Look for a place nearby (but not too near YOU) to buy.

==

Seriously, nice photos.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
In SE Alaska we used to catch cutthroat in beaver ponds. That was the best place to find them. Haven't seen a cutthroat trout since then. Not in person, anyway. I did not know there were so many varieties. It is good that fish and game has sought to bring back the greenback. Very nice. I hope they make a full recovery.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK Gooser, you have two choices:

1)
Stop posting these photos.
OR
2)
Look for a place nearby (but not too near YOU) to buy.

==

Seriously, nice photos.
I have a very comphy Man Cave / Garden shed.. Complete munitions bunker, totally void of any munitions right now,, but that was the purpose of original design,,,,, annny ways......... You are more than welcome to come bunk there for a spell .
When things dont go well in the main house,, I am banished to my kenn..errr man cave.. If you stay for more than a couple 3 days or so,, Im sure we will share the bunkbeds... and be roomies... Mini fridge with 3 cases a Mountain Dew,,, and four cartons of Pop Tarts (Strawberry) . A computor that has a screen saver of a small block Chevy doing a burn out..You can just let it re-play over and over agin.. I run it all night... It creates an Ora of peace over the land..

Let me know,, and I'll set a few mouse traps annd spiffy up the place..

Happy Camper..... Gooser

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That goes for you too Julie!!! Hell,, Maybe all three of us could starta Bunko Group!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Thanks for the offer Gooser. I have fond memories of the area, esp. a trip up to Imogene Pass with my wife, daughter, aunt and uncle years ago. I honestly do wonder if I could re-locate my mutts and me there.

Keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we just today lost the snow off the yard,,

nice picture Ken..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts