RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 yr old bitch started showing signs of lethargy last night. It seems as though her stomach is swollen and hard. She also has no appetite and is drinking TONS of water! She was running a fever, it is currently at 102.8. I have a vet appointment, but not until Thursday. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Swollen hard stomach...bloat? If she's intact pyometra would be a concern also as the main symptom I recall from an 8 y.o. bitch I had with pyo was gulping water. If she was mine...I think I'd take her to an emergency vet as either is life threatening.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
David,

I would be at the emergency vet.....but that's just me. BTW over 24 hours until you can get to your regular vet is a loooonnnggg time especially with her fever already high....

Keep us posted......

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Suggestions: None. The diagnosis could be anything.

I would be racing to my vet.

Hope to hear good news.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Go to the vet FAST.We had a malamute like that and almost didn't make it in time.She had bloat from an obstruction.A small piece of plastic from a squeaky toy she chewed up blocked the exit to her stomach.We had pyometra happen twice here and I don't recall bloating with that.Either one though,the dogs were in trouble fast.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only wish I could respond with a diagnosis of bloat. My girl has a mast the size of a cantelope in her tummy. The prognosis is very grim. I have to take her to my primary Vet today.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
David, we are sorry to hear about this. Is it Dancy? We will keep you in our thoughts and pray that her suffering is not too great.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but that sure sounds like a closed pyometra. If her stomach feels like there is a large, firm sausage in there you need to do something fast. My vet told me the one thing he remembers most from vet school is that, if a dog presents with pyometra, don't let the sunset on her without treatment. That would mean an emergency spaying. I am speaking from recent experience. A young bitch that I had extremely high hopes for is now spayed and living on a ranch in S. Texas with two little girls that really love her. But it was touch and go for awhile as to whether she would make it through surgery.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Sorry to hear the news is so grim.

We never know how much time we have with our dogs. It is important to enjoy and appreciate them every day.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this Dave.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this too. I hope it's operable & she has a good outcome.

Take Care-

M

·
Registered
741 Posts
so very sorry to hear that Dave - it just makes your gut sink to the floor and your head spin when you get that kind of news about a dog...

You'll both be in our prayers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
David,

Sorry to hear about your girl......my thoughts and prayers are with both of you from PA....hang in there....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts