RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
First and foremost, the credit for the winger design goes to Kwicklabs. I started with information on his site, threw in a few ideas from posts on RTF, and used a little bit of my own engineering to put my wingers together. The cost is not as low as you may think, but significantly less than buying commercial units. I built three wingers with electronics for approximately $525, but three commercial units with electronics would have been approximately $1,800.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
First and foremost, the credit for the winger design goes to Kwicklabs. I started with information on his site, threw in a few ideas from posts on RTF, and used a little bit of my own engineering to put my wingers together. The cost is not as low as you may think, but significantly less than buying commercial units. I built three wingers with electronics for approximately $525, but three commercial units with electronics would have been approximately $1,800.

I did the same, and I also give credit to KwikLabs. I posted a while back with a pretty detailed diagram of how I built my electronics. It is on page 2 towards the bottom....there are other pictures you will come across first (with like a green box....keep going down past that and you will see my electronics that I labeled). If y'all have any questions...shoot me a PM and I can help!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...de-Wingers/page2&highlight=winger+electronics

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My girlfriend has 6 PVC wingers with electronics. I'll try to get a picture of them this weekend for you.
l've never used them so I have no idea....but maybe it can help you.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I did the same, and I also give credit to KwikLabs. I posted a while back with a pretty detailed diagram of how I built my electronics. It is on page 2 towards the bottom....there are other pictures you will come across first (with like a green box....keep going down past that and you will see my electronics that I labeled). If y'all have any questions...shoot me a PM and I can help!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...de-Wingers/page2&highlight=winger+electronics

this is awesome. i was going to make a homemade bumper boy and use the walkie talkie idea. but with a 22 channel walkie you get a small enough signal to trip each one unless they are 6-7 channels apart meaning you could only have 3 launchers. now i can buy the 6 channel and have 2 double throwing machines and a siren on each or a 12 channel and have 3 triple throwers with siren or 2 5 throwers with sirens

i've had the idea formulated for awhile just didnt know any other route than walkie talkie since the elsema stuff isnt really logical anymore

·
Registered
227 Posts
YES! I like the idea! Take it and run with it! The carymart electronics really make things much easier...they are extremely easy to setup as well! Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jeremy,

I forgot to get back with you with pictures of my wingers, I apologize. There are three general pictures above, if anyone wants a picture of a particular part, me know. Again Kwicklab started the process, Jeremy and others helped me out, and I also incorporated a few of my own ideas.

My changes included building a longer winger, therefore I used 3/4" PVC instead of 1/2". I did not like the oversized cylinder design so I made bushings that fit inside 1" fittings to make the hinged sections a snug fit as well as eliminating the non-glued section at the base of the winger. I used carymart electronics, but I used two channel receivers so that one receiver could operate both the siren and the actuator, which cuts down on the size of the electronics box.

At first I was skeptical of building my own, particularly the electronics part. But, after I jumped in it really wasn't that hard. Like Jeremy, if you have any questions shoot me a pm and I can help you out.

Kendall

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm willing to share and help out with anything I can, but I really didn't have any plans or drawings. For the winger, I just started with Kwicklabs pictures posted on his site and cut and glued as I went. For the electronics, I combined thoughts from Kwicklabs, Jeremy, and the guy who posted the green box. For the 209 primer system, I started with Kwicklabs design and modified the rubber band location so that I did not have to take them on and off to reload. I will take pictures of the various parts and pieces and post them when I get home. I think I will start a new thread as this one has went in a different direction than answering the OP's request.

Thanks,
Kendall

·
Registered
227 Posts
Jeremy,

I forgot to get back with you with pictures of my wingers, I apologize. There are three general pictures above, if anyone wants a picture of a particular part, me know. Again Kwicklab started the process, Jeremy and others helped me out, and I also incorporated a few of my own ideas.

My changes included building a longer winger, therefore I used 3/4" PVC instead of 1/2". I did not like the oversized cylinder design so I made bushings that fit inside 1" fittings to make the hinged sections a snug fit as well as eliminating the non-glued section at the base of the winger. I used carymart electronics, but I used two channel receivers so that one receiver could operate both the siren and the actuator, which cuts down on the size of the electronics box.

At first I was skeptical of building my own, particularly the electronics part. But, after I jumped in it really wasn't that hard. Like Jeremy, if you have any questions shoot me a pm and I can help you out.

Kendall

Kendall,

How do you like the 2 Channel receivers? I was thinking about building some more wingers for myself (I got another dog and may get a third in the near future). How did you mount the 2 channel receivers...Is there a way I can screw them down to a project box or do you just have them sitting in there? The other thing I was thinking was a double-sided mounting square or Velcro. However, I have my box mounted to the winger and they probably would get knocked around if they werent secured real well. The one channel receivers that I purchased have screw holes so I just screwed them into my project box.

Anyways, nice work, I like your bushing idea...it sounds awesome. I'd like to see picture if you get the chance (no hurry). What do you think you ended up spending per winger?

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts