RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I'm confused. At a HT recently, a friend said that a dog who lines the blind(s) has not demonstrated ability to be handled (guess this comes under the heading of trainability/biddability?), and that could hurt the dog's score.

If a dog theoretically stepped on each mark, lined the blinds... wouldn't that dog be batting a thousand?

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Whoever told you that was wrong. Lining the blind is the ultimate control. My information comes from the HRC Judges/Handler seminar. I don't know where your friend got his.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
They were just jealous. ;) I've heard that comment too. Crazy... I doubt a dog is going to line all of their tests, each series. If they can't handle, it'll show at some point, right?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I think lining a blind is great. But it's as much luck as control.

Many people think they lined the blind when they should have used two or three whistles.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If it is so much luck then why do some dogs do it a lot more than others? (a lot more than mine!)

Many people think they lined the blind when they should have used two or three whistles.
Agreed, but the judges and gallery know the difference.

·
Registered
530 Posts

If the dog negotiated all the factors that the judges were looking at when they designed the blind then lineing the blind is absolutely a better score. If the dog skirts the factors and ends up downwind which allows him to come up with the bird,not so much.

Bert

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
"You lined the blind but your dog never showed it could handle." Old tired judges' joke but incredibly some folks think it's true. A true lined blind is as good as it gets. Why? Dog comes to the mat. Handler gives a direction. Dog takes that and burns a straight line to the bird. Perfect. End of story.
There are inumerable other paths to the bird. But a true line from the original cast can't be beat.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
OK... I'm confused. At a HT recently, a friend said that a dog who lines the blind(s) has not demonstrated ability to be handled (guess this comes under the heading of trainability/biddability?), and that could hurt the dog's score.

If a dog theoretically stepped on each mark, lined the blinds... wouldn't that dog be batting a thousand?
Thousand no, 10s yes. Ever seen a poorly trained dog line a blind with any factors? Rarely is lining a blind luck.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Rarely is lining a blind luck.
Amen to that! Lining isn't a natural function, particularly on routes involving serious factors. If your dog lined the blind, he took handle #1 perfectly! That's why he didn't need handle #2.:D

Evan

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fella that told me this swears that this is what a judge told him when his dog got dropped. I'm assuming it was more than just the blind... but lining the blind didn't save him. I'm reading into the comment a lot... but he believes that lining the blind hurt his score rather than helped him.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The fella that told me this swears that this is what a judge told him when his dog got dropped. I'm assuming it was more than just the blind... but lining the blind didn't save him. I'm reading into the comment a lot... but he believes that lining the blind hurt his score rather than helped him.
There's lining the blind and there's "woohoo he dun lined the blind!"
Big difference. Many new handlers are unable to see it.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
IF that's true, and I doubt it is, shame on the judge. As Anne said, there is a water and land blind in master and senior, at some point, if the marks and blinds are set up with some thought, the handler is going to have to blow the whistle and the dog is going to have to take another cast or two. I've seen dogs line A blind but don't think I've ever seen one line the land and water blind in both in the same test.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Amen to that! Lining isn't a natural function, .:DEvan

Usually, but not always true. I have a female that overall naturally holds a nice line in spite of the factors. Doesnt always happen but I believe her to be an above average natural linning dog. Bred her to Shaq and one of her puppies I am working with is showing the same ability at 7 months.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
So then a back cast from heel would be considered a handle? I saw the same thing the OP mentioned dog stepped on all three marks and lined the blind to within 2' of the bird and was never called back for the water.
The judge told him he showed nothing on how the dog handled. The next day he did a 2 whistle for the blind toot-back toot- back and was called back for water series. The dog stilled lined within a couple feet of the blind.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Why do I want to bet he was talking about the senior water blind at NorCal GRC's Sunday test? Admittedly it was a fairly difficult blind by senior standards, but the number of handlers that failed to challenge the blind was mind boggling, and reflected in the number of ribbons handed out. The blind was a moderate diagonal water entry after about 40 yds of land with virtually no cover. A small island obstacle was just to the right of the true line where you might lose the dog behind it at the back side. The water was open running water from the island to the curved shoreline with minimal obstructions. Straight line from line to blind had the dog picking up the bird from the waters edge after going through the fat part of the water. Total distance of approx 75-80 yds. It was amazing how many handlers allowed their dog to run the bank or along the shoreline rather than requiring them to get into the fat part of the water. And then thought they had run a good blind. Needless to say, there were several disappointed handlers at the ribbon ceremony.

T. Mac

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Was his name Fred and was he from Vegas?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
So then a back cast from heel would be considered a handle?
Yes. Most folks call that one the initial cast.

[/QUOTE]I saw the same thing the OP mentioned dog stepped on all three marks and lined the blind to within 2' of the bird and was never called back for the water.
The judge told him he showed nothing on how the dog handled. The next day he did a 2 whistle for the blind toot-back toot- back and was called back for water series. The dog stilled lined within a couple feet of the blind.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't there and neither was Paul Harvey (can't get the rest of the story), but that seems a little silly that dog 1 was not called back (provided dog 1 challenged the blind and navigated the "factors" on blind 1)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I lined a water blind a few weeks ago and I heard one of the judges behind me say "now your just showing off". Without even turning around I said "luck". She is a very good blind running dog and the truth was I sent her a little fat because everyone was going off to the right and getting in a little trouble but instead of taking my "fat" line she took a perfect line right to the bird. Luck

·
Registered
530 Posts
So then a back cast from heel would be considered a handle? I saw the same thing the OP mentioned dog stepped on all three marks and lined the blind to within 2' of the bird and was never called back for the water.
The judge told him he showed nothing on how the dog handled. The next day he did a 2 whistle for the blind toot-back toot- back and was called back for water series. The dog stilled lined within a couple feet of the blind.
Unless there was an obviouse factor that was cheated THAT is piss poor judgeing, and even if there was a cheat the dog should be back.

Bert

1 - 20 of 112 Posts