RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this weekend didn't go as I would've hoped but I do believe both my son and his dog will be better because of it.

This weekend was my 16 year olds sons little female Labs second and third run at her AKC senior title. Dixie received her junior title a month ago, she ran and passed her first senior test the same weekend. This weekend the weather was great , the tests were straight forward basic tests and judges were great. Dixie took herself out, plain and simple, and she went out both days for the same issue. Once my son cooled off we talked about the weekend on the way home I told him the test pretty much spelled out for him what he had to work on. Both Days Dixie made it through the first series, she not only made it through she did it with style, Dixie lined the land blind on the first day and stepped on both birds on the land series the second day.

Dixie went out on the memory bird over big water on both days. She's currently have confidence issues on the memory bird. Add to the fact that my son nit picks her on the line and you have a recipe for failure. And with my son just receiving his junior title and passing his first senior test a month ago this weekends failure came hard to him. Once we got home and reviewed what had happened and what needs to be done I could tell he couldn't wait to get back to training next week.

The hunt test game can teach a young man quite a bit about life. Success takes time, nothing comes easy and don't take anything for granted among many other things!

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Bummer,
Yet cool!
Learn from every failure!
Sounds like your Son has a great dog.
and, while hard to tell a kid, heck it was hard to tell me as a 40year old.
maybe test a bit less, right now. Middle level is a bitch. Underwellemed dogs rock tests.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Funny, those lessons are still good for us older folks, too! It's a big leap from Junior to Senior - lots more opportunities to learn ! That's where I am right now, too.

So neat that you and your son have this hobby and excitement for training to share with each other. Not to mention the dogs. Sounds like the young man has a good Dad to guide him through the rough spots. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jennifer

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
She's currently have confidence issues on the memory bird. Add to the fact that my son nit picks her on the line and you have a recipe for failure. And with my son just receiving his junior title and passing his first senior test a month ago this weekends failure came hard to him. Once we got home and reviewed what had happened and what needs to be done I could tell he couldn't wait to get back to training next week.

The hunt test game can teach a young man quite a bit about life. Success takes time, nothing comes easy and don't take anything for granted among many other things!
Sometimes the hard lessons can be the most valuable. It depends on the student!;)

Let me ask this. When this dog is in training, do you run her on any Master level marks? How does she do? If she's beginning to put things together at that level, she should have sucess at nearly anything in Senior. If she's barely doing Senior - say, because she hasn't built strong memory habits on doubles yet - this weekend has a strong chance of repeating itself.

She sounds like a dog that will be able to play the game well, but needs more time at home getting stronger. But that's just my take away from what you've described.

Evan

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Sorry it didn't go as you had hoped.

This statement you made is true for all of us, not just a young man. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I love the attitude exhibited in this thread. No blaming the judging or the test set up or the grounds, etc., just committing to work on areas of weakness and come back and do better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts