RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone,

I'm looking for a good, reliable trainer/duck dog kennel so I can reserve a pup and have them train it as well. I'm in the south eastern louisiana area. If anyone can help me with this that would be great. Even if i do research around I still won't know if the kennels I find will be a reliable source. So if any of y'all have experience with trainers around the Louisiana, Mississippi area please fill me and guide me their way. Hope that's good enough info, if not, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You have a lot of choices in Louisiana and Miss.
Chuck McCall- Baton Rouge
Bart Posey- Carriere MS
Dale Johnson- Church Point, LA
Mark Briley- No. LA
Ronnie Lee- No. Miss
Ed Thibodaux- Lafayette, LA area
Bill Audrey- No. LA(Alexandra area)

There are more, but I would recommend any of these. I am not sure about puppys. I think Dale Johnson might have some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say you're not sure about puppies, do you mean all they have is started dogs? Sorry if that's a stupid question lol

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
In addition to those excellent trainers listed above:

Alan Sandifer: Tylertown, MS
Eddie Sullivan: Columbia, MS

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bill autrey is as good as they come. He always knows of a litter. He is in north Louisanna. He has a website and a Facebook. Go see him you won't regret it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the input.. I've always heard good things about Ronnie lee but I'll definitely take a look into Bill autrey

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oops, forgot about Alan and Eddie, shame on me since I talked to Eddie last night. Too early in the morning
As far as saying about puppies, I meant I do not know if they have any litters. You would have to talk to them about that. they could also recommend a litter from other sources

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Charlie Moody in Louisville, MS. Good with all ages, but especially good with young dogs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cory Baudoin - Old Cypress Kennels located in Kaplan, LA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help y'all.. Now I have more than enough trainers to choose from. Guess its time that I start sendin emails to them. Thanks again

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are several fine trainers already listed.
What part of South Louisiana are you from. I would think you would want to be close enough to the trainer so you could see/work with your dog as he/she progresses.
On another note, I heard that Jim Mouille was starting to train dogs again. I have an older dog that he did an excellent job on.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
East of New Orleans, would that be Slidell. I am in Slidell. If you are in that area, than Bart Posey would only be about 30 miles from you. Mark Smith and Charlie Moody only do Field Trail and do not do hunting dogs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im not far from Slidell at all.. I live in violet which is in saint Bernard parish. Yes, I'm looking for a hunting dog. So I guess I can eliminate Mark smith and Charlie moody. I've been reading good reviews about chuck McCall who is located in the baton rouge area. Thats still within driving distance for me. I just can't seem to find his website, email address, or phone number anywhere on the web. Do you have any experience with Bart posey?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Bart Posey is an excellent trainer, as is Chuck McCall. If you want Chuck's contact information, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
238 Posts
East of New Orleans, would that be Slidell. I am in Slidell. If you are in that area, than Bart Posey would only be about 30 miles from you. Mark Smith and Charlie Moody only do Field Trail and do not do hunting dogs.
This is absolutely wrong. Mark definitely trains hunting dogs. He has trained dogs for a few of my friends who only hunt (no tests or trials). With Mark you are guaranteed to have a dog with rock solid basics.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Jessie Sheppard in Tishamingo, MS.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Bart Posey was my trainer of choice when I quit running my own dogs. Bart used to be a school teacher and then a feed store clerk before he began training dogs for other people, I believe. This gave him the understanding to deal with people as well as dogs. He is even tempered, calm and quiet. He understands dogs, or did I say that before. He has trained, probably, 8 or nine dogs for Gator Point Kennel over the years and I do not hesitate to reccomend him. The dogs work happy.

I believe Bill Autrey stays pretty full, but he will be a good source to point you in the direction of a good pup. He has some great dogs on his truck. E-mail at Autrey Kennel.com I believe. Due to having his voice box removed years ago he is hard to understand (and I am simi-deaf), but he gets his point across to the dogs just fine. He is referred to as "Whispering Bill" by his buddies. He proves you don't have to holler at a dog to train it!

Wish you luck in your quest, drop by sometimes, we're in Tylertown, just up the road, Bill

1 - 20 of 32 Posts