RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female HRCH/MH with a FC Sire X QAA Dam. I am starting to look to breed her and I was curious why Grady is so popular of a sire. I know he is an amazing performer being a high point champ and a NAFC however I noticed that he only has 3 dogs in the top 30 derby dogs of 2011 (though one was the high point derby dog) and 3 so far this year too. I know he gets breed alot more then other dogs like Fen Wizard. Please don't take this the wrong way, I am just looking to get some information. Are people seeing something superior with his pups versus pups other well know sires out there or is it just more of a trend?
Again nothing against Grady, he is an amazing dogs but it is just that he gets breed seemingly 2-3 time as often.

·
Registered
932 Posts
So that would be two straight years of high point derby dog.

But in reality. Being on derby list is up to owner who buy pup and train it. So you say he has ten percent of the top thirty. That pretty good in my book

·
Registered
890 Posts
Grady is the total package. He has a good pedigree (Code Blue), he's very stylish but rock steady and watches the birds intently, good looking, etc. I still don't own a pup out of Grady but I've been a fan since I judged him in one of his first Derbies (he won). Chad was new to the game and I'm not sure if he even knew what he had at that point. I knew then he was the real deal.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I watched three grady pups run today at our club training day and I was very impressed, All three could mark extremely well and had tons of drive and desire.It's no secret, Grady throws nice pups. I want one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
One good reason to breed to Grady is because Grady pups sell,not the best reason to breed to him,just one reason.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
He seems to nick well with a variety of different bitch lines. His offspring have done well in derbies, and look promising running AA. I liked what I saw and bred my Ranger bitch to him last fall. The puppies are coming along well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've had the pleasure of training and working with 3 grady pups now out of 3 totally different bitches lines...All three pups are exceptional. All had the same desire to learn, focus and are outstanding markers... To me...If you can get those results out of different nics....why not go for it...? A very Solid Bet with Great Returns! A Really Great Dog...Throw equal or better than He/She is...and Grady proves that over and over and over...and BACK again!!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have been searching for almost a year before I finally decited to breed my bitch to Grady. I picked him because of his pedigree, his accomplishments, the accomplishments of the puppies he sires and the fact he is yellow factor. But the biggest reason is that I am keeping one of the puppies for myself and I want to win.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have been searching for almost a year before I finally decited to breed my bitch to Grady. I picked him because of his pedigree, his accomplishments, the accomplishments of the puppies he sires and the fact he is yellow factor. But the biggest reason is that I am keeping one of the puppies for myself and I want to win.
So, when I get one of the pups from your litter, and beat you with it, you still kind of win, since you were the breeder, right? :)

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
To the op, could it be that Grady does not have that many "super stars" out there yet just because he is only 8 years old? I know he was out for a while with some kind of injury or illness, so count that in with his hard training/trialing schedule, I doubt many of offspring are much over 2 if that. But it sure seems like a lot of people who know these things place a lot of confidence in him. And all the photos I see of Grady pups make me think he passes on a lot of himself.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So, when I get one of the pups from your litter, and beat you with it, you still kind of win, since you were the breeder, right? :)
I can go along with that but since all the puppies should be equally great it will probably come down to the training, I'm just saying:)

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Grady was EIC and CNM clear, carried yellow, and was a talented field champion at the right time when people found out their females carried EIC and they were looking for a non LeanMac sire. His oldest pups are 4 1/2 years old. It remains to be seen how talented they are in All Age. Some of the older ones can get pretty high at a trial which may be a factor in All Age. The talent is there, but future breedings of the progeny may be interesting.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
To the op, could it be that Grady does not have that many "super stars" out there yet just because he is only 8 years old? I know he was out for a while with some kind of injury or illness, so count that in with his hard training/trialing schedule, I doubt many of offspring are much over 2 if that. But it sure seems like a lot of people who know these things place a lot of confidence in him. And all the photos I see of Grady pups make me think he passes on a lot of himself.
Was the injury knees? Seems like I remember something about him having both knees done. Are we seeing cruciate problems in his offspring?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Was the injury knees? Seems like I remember something about him having both knees done. Are we seeing cruciate problems in his offspring?
No, it was not his knees, please don't spread rumors like that when you don't know the facts. Do a search for the story. The fact that he recovered from such an ordeal with grass awns, major surgery, and went on to win the Nat Am is nothing short of incredible, IMO. The dog is all heart if nothing else. I've got 2 current Grady pups, had an older brother to the younger one I have now and he was pretty nice. Slow starter in marking but once he got there, he got there. They are just dang nice dogs to have around, whether they'll have the talent for big dog work remains to be seen, but the four pups I've had in my home have been among the easiest pups to train and live with, in my own experience. A far cry from the hyper FT myth.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I see you have a Rough pup also, do you like the Grady pups better than the Rough pup?
Nope. Love my Rough pup too, she is coming along nicely and would breed to him again in a heartbeat. Not vocal, not hyper, solid marker so far. Hope to run some Derbies with her this summer.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
No, it was not his knees, please don't spread rumors like that when you don't know the facts. Do a search for the story. The fact that he recovered from such an ordeal with grass awns, major surgery, and went on to win the Nat Am is nothing short of incredible, IMO. The dog is all heart if nothing else. I've got 2 current Grady pups, had an older brother to the younger one I have now and he was pretty nice. Slow starter in marking but once he got there, he got there. They are just dang nice dogs to have around, whether they'll have the talent for big dog work remains to be seen, but the four pups I've had in my home have been among the easiest pups to train and live with, in my own experience. A far cry from the hyper FT myth.
I'm not spreading any rumors. I asked a question, I didn't make a statement. Obviously you are a fan. Sorry if I hit a sensative spot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts