RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this, so let me know if this is not the appropriate place for this question.
We have a new puppy, we own the parents. We didn't train either of the parents ourselves, actually bought them after training was complete. The breeder/trainer of the dam is not local and isn't an option for us. The trainer of the sire actually worked for a breeder/trainer but trained him on his own. We have since used that trainer for a different puppy and were extremely disappointed (will never let them lay a hand on a dog we own again). So, now we're looking for options for this new pup. Don't really have plans for tests or trials, just want a highly trained hunter. Suggestions?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Where are you located in Oklahoma? There are a few around that are pretty good.

Russell

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just sent you a pm

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
One of the best around is The Retriever Academy, see the advertisement banner at the top of this thread. Not only is Derek and the guys great trainers, but the facilities are beyond compare expecially around this area.

Sounds like you have enough experience to know that anyone can throw out a shingle, but results and integrity is what counts.
PS. Need any other information, feel free to PM me.

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in northern OK, almost to KS border. Previously dealt with a trainer in the Choctaw area, not going there again...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I did read a little about them online, may need to research them further. Looked pretty good, have you actually used them?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you! I did read a little about them online, may need to research them further. Looked pretty good, have you actually used them?
Derek is running one of my dogs now, Lizzie. My avatar dog. She is now 7 for 7 on Finished Passes, and 3 for 3 on Master Passes. She has thrived at TRA. I took one of Derek's personal dogs last fall as he was retiring HRCH Tricks MH, and she is a wonderful old dog. They have a great head start program for young dogs. Brett Freeman does great work on the dogs going through Transition. Give them a call and set up a time to go see the place and meet Derek, Brett, and the staff, and to watch the dogs work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul,

I also asked someone else this question...Do they work for upland as well as waterfowl? Our dam is a pointing retriever out of Sauk River Retrievers. I've seen this pup (and siblings) point on cats and peacock, but haven't exposed him to much else at this time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Derek does upland training as it is a requirement for the UKC Grand Hunt. I do not know if they train to point or sit-to-flush. TRA has had great success at the Grand over the years, so his program is proven; but, you'd have to discuss the details with him as I'm not an upland hunter--too much walking for an old guy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Retriever Academy as well! I have a young pup there that is doing absolutely great with Brett as of right now. Very nice people and run a pretty tight ship, I am heading out in a few weeks to see the dog and work the those guys!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've known Derek about 12 years and he recently took my dog (avatar also) after I put the HRCH on him and passed two HRC Grands and put the Master Hunter title on him. As far as upland, Derek doesn't do much training per se, but is always open to working with clients.

I also get the opportunity to train at TRA frequently and you will not find a nicer place around. If you are close to KS, you are close to Derek (unless you are opposite side of state).

Shoot him an email or give him a call. Derek does not sit down for long, if not training he is on the tractor late at night, so give him the opportunity to call back.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally use Gabe Withrow and have very pleased with his way handling my dog and the results. Just google Withrow Kennels for details. I previously used another trainer and was disappointed.

Pup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pup,
Would you mind pm'ing me with more details about Withrow? I talked with him this morning and have seen his site. Would love more input from someone who has used him.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Gabe is a good choice. That is who I would recommend.

Russell

·
Registered
84 Posts
x3 for Derek Randle at The Retriever Academy. Class Act person and his results speak for them self. PM me if you want any further detail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts