RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What type of cruciate repair did you do for your FT dog?

• TPLO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • suture replacement

• other

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for vet contacts for cruciate repair in the northeast. I am fairly sure that my 8 year old has damaged her cruciate. Any feedback on the success of repair on an older dog would be appreciated. Also looking for vet with know sucess and possible rehab options.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Franznuski in Philly.... I know I just butchered his name or go to Vethab.com and talk to John Sherman. Those 2 get my vote.

Angie

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.
Sherman is just alittle far but I guess flying the dog would be an option.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
hi Brenda,

sorry to hear you're in the market.....

both of my dogs have had tplo's done by dr. melvyn pond, who works out of new haven,ct. i was very pleased with the results in both cases. both dogs were fairly young-belle was 22 months and daisy was a bit over 5 years old.

i would say he is extremely personable as well as a top notch surgeon. good luck with your girl!-paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry to read adout your dog.
This is tack less, I have to ask. What is this going to cost you$$ ??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
paul young said:
sorry to hear you're in the market.....
I have been in the market before, for my old girl Maggie. Because she was 9 I didn't even consider TPLO. It was career ending. Ended up having both legs done.

paul young said:
both of my dogs have had tplo's done by dr. melvyn pond, who works out of new haven,ct. i was very pleased with the results
Did he have any PT / water teadmill available? DO you have his contact number?
How long before your guys were back to competition.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
NE Vet for cruciate repair.

Jack Dwyer out of Sodus, NY.

Best man I have run into in 28 years. Board certified for TPLO.

Good Luck.

Bill

·
Registered
34 Posts
NE Vet for Cruciate repair.

Send me a PM if you need more info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John said:
This is tack less, I have to ask. What is this going to cost you$$ ??
I don't know about tackless, cost benefit analysis is something I am thinking about constantly. I could spend all this money an never get to run here again.
Last time I had a suture replacement it cost ~$800. I heard TPLO $2500 to $3500. With PT and the hope of being back in competition in 3 months probably $7K+. If I do the PT myself who knows, next year?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
TPLO will run around $2500-3500, and aggressive re-hab with the orthopedic surgeon's guidance and help will do alot to get the dog back in working shape. A canine re-hab therapist with past TPLO experiences would be a great help also. Remember that swimming is one of the key's along with gradual activity increases, range of motion excersices, rest, suppliments, no running, or potiential slippery surfaces. Also talk to the ortho vet about this product http://www.arthritis.au.com/htm/vet_01.htm

Good luck!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Heck, Look at Auggie! Had both done, and won two double headers this year.......among other things. Worth it no matter how you look at it. Amazing. 8)
LM

·
Registered
768 Posts
Heck, Look at Auggie! Had both done, and won two double headers this year.......among other things. Worth it no matter how you look at it. Amazing. 8)
LM

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It's not the surgery that makes a difference, it's the rehab.

No matter who you decide on to do the surgery, Sherman is still your best bet for the rehab. Particularly if you want to run the dog again.

Lisa

·
Registered
748 Posts
Check out TTA surgery. My 3 year old had TTA surgery and was running in 2 months. It's been 6 months and we haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Brenda,

There was a guy named Joseph Glennon down around Albany that seemed pretty good back when I was in God's country.

He may be worth talking to. I think he was actually in Colonie, NY, but I'm not positive...somewhere down there.

Good luck!

I had a great chat recently with old Tom Wright....we talked about old times and your name came up! Hope you are well!

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
tplo

I had my 4 year old done at Garden State Vet. located in New jersey. Dr Scozelli. No rehab until 6-8 weeks! Walking is the first step way before swimming. Good luck,Davey

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kimsmith said:
Check out TTA surgery. My 3 year old had TTA surgery and was running in 2 months. It's been 6 months and we haven't had any problems.
I heard about another type of surgery. Tell us more about it. Whee is it done.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chris Atkinson said:
Brenda,
There was a guy named Joseph Glennon down around Albany that seemed pretty good back when I was in God's country.
Good to hear from you hope all is well.
Look up TPLO certified surgeons and did not see any in Albany area. Perhaps he moved or is just specialized in shoulders?? I'll look again.

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: tplo

DAVEY said:
I had my 4 year old done at Garden State Vet. located in New jersey. Dr Scozelli. No rehab until 6-8 weeks! Walking is the first step way before swimming. Good luck,Davey
Good to hear form you. Heard you had done the rehab yourself. Alot of the info I see confirms you nothing till 8 weeks. Risk of screws backing out etc.
You didn't have anyone in your area that did Underwater treadmill?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts