RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 ½ month old black lab that I started hold training on last Friday. For today’s drills I started working with him on moving from one side of the tailgate to the other while holding a roller paint brush. For his first attempt at moving while holding an object I was happy with the progress that we made this morning. One thing that I have noticed is that he has a very soft hold. Sometimes the roller nearly falls out while moving back and forth on the tail gate. Will this tighten up as we continue with training or should I work with him on getting it tightened up now? I was thinking that as I continue to work with him and have him hold heaver objects (wooden dowel, bumpers, water bottles, .ect…..) that his hold will naturally tighten up. This is my first time trying to get a dog through FF, I would like to know if I need to bite this in the bud now instead of trying to fix a bad habit latter.

Mike

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have a 6 ½ month old black lab that I started hold training on last Friday. For today’s drills I started working with him on moving from one side of the tailgate to the other while holding a roller paint brush. For his first attempt at moving while holding an object I was happy with the progress that we made this morning. One thing that I have noticed is that he has a very soft hold. Sometimes the roller nearly falls out while moving back and forth on the tail gate. Will this tighten up as we continue with training or should I work with him on getting it tightened up now? I was thinking that as I continue to work with him and have him hold heaver objects (wooden dowel, bumpers, water bottles, .ect…..) that his hold will naturally tighten up. This is my first time trying to get a dog through FF, I would like to know if I need to bite this in the bud now instead of trying to fix a bad habit latter.

Mike
Mike,
Is there somebody close to you that has experience to show you the ropes the first time around. Just advice only.... No bad habits yet.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have force fetched both my dogs. In my experience it does tighten up. I usually just tap him under the chin and tell him "hold" if he starts being sloppy with it. Don't yell at him just say a firm "no...hold." That seems to help. Once it does tighten up you can tap the ends of the roller to rock it in his mouth and tell him hold. Make sure to tell him "good" when he does hold onto it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

Mike
Be patient, be consistent, start w/o distractions, proof with distractions, proof in different areas (generalize) and again be patient. If you need it, I can send you a description of some of the drills I do.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The hold will tighten up as you progress. At first you will just give a tap under the chin when the dog drops the bumper or has a very loose hold. As you move on to doing a little heeling with the dog holding a bumper, you will not babay him but rather add more challenge by tapping the bumper or htting it with the lead. The correction (tap/cuff under chin) will get a little firmer as you put more obligation on the dog to hold. The hold will get better still when you add the ear pinch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BJ,

I don't know anyone close by that I could go to for assistance. I have done some searching in the area for an active retriever club to see if I could get some pointers that way. The nearest one that I could find is about 70 miles away.

I have been working on the hold for about a week now and plan to work with him for at least another week more if needed before I move on to FF. Most of the hold training has been done on the tailgate of my truck but I have worked with him on the porch. I like working with him on elevated surfaces because it makes it easier for quick chin tap corrections when he does get lazy with the hold. Yesterday was the first time I tried to add any distractions to the hold. At first I just worked on getting him to stand up and sit back down. After doing that 3-4 times I thought I would try to get him to walk on the tailgate with the hold. Like I said before he did a lot better walking on the tailgate then I expected. I like the suggestions on taping the bumper, I was noticing this morning that he would anticipate me removing the bumper and loose up his hold any time I put my hand close to the bumper.

I'm open to any drills or suggestions you have that I could use. Because of my lack of experiences I find that I get stuck doing the same drills each day. I'm sure Ryker (my lab) would appreciate it if I add new drills to the training sessions from time to time.

Mike McArthur

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
BJ,

I don't know anyone close by that I could go to for assistance. I have done some searching in the area for an active retriever club to see if I could get some pointers that way. The nearest one that I could find is about 70 miles away.

I have been working on the hold for about a week now and plan to work with him for at least another week more if needed before I move on to FF. Most of the hold training has been done on the tailgate of my truck but I have worked with him on the porch. I like working with him on elevated surfaces because it makes it easier for quick chin tap corrections when he does get lazy with the hold. Yesterday was the first time I tried to add any distractions to the hold. At first I just worked on getting him to stand up and sit back down. After doing that 3-4 times I thought I would try to get him to walk on the tailgate with the hold. Like I said before he did a lot better walking on the tailgate then I expected. I like the suggestions on taping the bumper, I was noticing this morning that he would anticipate me removing the bumper and loose up his hold any time I put my hand close to the bumper.

I'm open to any drills or suggestions you have that I could use. Because of my lack of experiences I find that I get stuck doing the same drills each day. I'm sure Ryker (my lab) would appreciate it if I add new drills to the training sessions from time to time.

Mike McArthur
Mike, Come up to Lee Kay this Memorial Day weekend, hang out at the hunt test. You will find someone to help you. 70 miles is nothing.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
BJ,

Mike McArthur
Get Lardy's TRT 2nd edition. Will give you everything you need to build a fine dog. The first DVD gives excellent coverage on teaching FF from hold through collar fetch.
In the DVD, Mike gets the pup used to his hands being around but not taking the bumper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, Come up to Lee Kay this Memorial Day weekend, hang out at the hunt test. You will find someone to help you. 70 miles is nothing.
Mitty,

You have any more information on the Hunt test being held this weekend? Is this as Saturday only or will it be going all weekend? I would love to stop by but I have a couple other plans setup for the weekend already. If I have some spare time I might see if I can swing by to see what its all about.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Mitty,

You have any more information on the Hunt test being held this weekend? Is this as Saturday only or will it be going all weekend? I would love to stop by but I have a couple other plans setup for the weekend already. If I have some spare time I might see if I can swing by to see what its all about.

Thanks

Mike

It is a double header AKC hunt test, put on by the Wasatch Hunting Retriever Club:

Friday: Master Test
Saturday: Junior and Senior Test
Sunday: Junior, Senior and Master tests

They start at 8 or 9 in the morning at the Lee Kay Center west of Salt Lake City (Hwy 201 at about 5600 West, on north side of Hwy).

If you can show up and schmooze for a few hours, you have a good chance of meeting some really helpful people, some may even live in your neck of the woods. I believe this is the last event of the season so go if you can---it is a really good opportunity to meet people who know how to train retrievers.

I expect to be there all day Saturday, at the senior test, holding a clip board. :cool: So if you are there, and want to sort of know someone, you can look for me there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts