RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv'e got a 22 monthe old that has loose stools ALL the time, I normally feed Exceed, but have tried PP performance, Euk performance, diamond naturals, diamond performance. It's not like he has the diarea, just very loose stools. Has a great coat and a nice build, all foods that I have tried have the same results. Any suggestions to tighten it up??

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have had good success in adding a probiotic to the dog food.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I have had good success in adding a probiotic to the dog food.
x2 - for way too long I just assumed my one dog had loose stools, then one day he got an upset tummy, he ended up on antibiotics and then probiotics afterwards since the meds ended up killing both good and bad bacteria in his tummy. Ever since he has had nice firm stools...my guess is all these years he never really had a good balance in his tummy...I felt pretty bad.

I gave him the flora something or other (dry powder I got from my vet), mixed it with plain yogurt since he would not eat it when I sprinkled it on his food.

FOM

Edit: This is the stuff I used: http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/Product/FortiFloraCanineNutritionalSupplements.aspx

·
Registered
375 Posts
Any chance the doog is eating its own stools. I caught one of mine years ago doing it and did some research and found caprophagia to be fairly common. I added a tablet to his food once a day and within a week the stools firmed up. problem was solved

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Todd,
You can go the yogurt way although our vet stated that some dogs have problems digesting dairy. Purina has come out with Fortiflora .... I think this is what Lainee is talking about. When we needed to start a probiotic, Fotiflora really wasn't readily available in Canada. Vet suggested a human probiotic - acidopholis capsules - available through the local drugstore .... I am sure you would be able to find something similar at Walgreens down there.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Try Forti-Flora for a month, everyday.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Have you done a round of panacur? Sometimes there's a low level problem smoldering along, and the panacur will take care of it (giadia, etc, that won't show up in a fecal).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Had the same problem. Tractor supply sells Sport Dog C9 Digestive enzymes, worked wonders for my dog in about 3 days.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yogurt does nothing, as per my vet. Humans and dogs have very different gut bacteria. Yogurt helps us but not so much for dogs. Forti flora is the dog equivalent to yogurt for people, according to my vet.

My Golden had loose stool for practically the whole first year and half of his life. I'll admit, he did have his fair share of cat and deer poo ingestion. But finally gave him a week or two of forti flora everyday with meals and limited his diet to just his kibble, no can food or treats and that did the trick. Now I can give him high quality treats and bits of meat from our dinners and his stools are still reliable. I really think the forti flora did the trick to balance his gut. and no, i'm not normally a fan of the purina company that makes forti flora.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's just that HS water up in Brainerd you are giving him!!! hahaha see you this weekend

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree with the digestive enzymes, I use PROZYME daily.

Also exactly how much food is your dog getting each feeding?

Maybe your just over feeding a little to much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just a thought - we tried EVERYTHING mentioned above. Finally vet put us on Purina HA to test possibility he had an allergy to meat and chicken. After a few months he firmed up. We did other things as well but bottom line he is doing better and we have transitioned to a salmon / potato feed.

G

·
when my dog was younger he had the same problem I tried a probiotic no luck, switched his foods until he had been on nearly every brand, nothing agreed with him until I tried Nutro natural choice high energy, now that he's older he is on the adult large breed has great stools.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts