RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gigi is two years old and loosing hair (back of belly and inside her hind legs).
The area is uniform and the skin has a slight crusty feel to it. She is presently on
ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach because she was having bile issues (not
any more).

I have a vet appointment, but not until the 14th.

note: She lives in our house (no kennel) right next to Pounce. Pounce has no
sign of any skin issues. Gigi is 28 months old and never shown a sign of being
in heat. I am just trying to cover all the bases before the appointment.

·
Registered
12,458 Posts
If she were a Chesapeake Bay Retriever I would simply reply "aw don't worry she is just blowing her coat". Something chessy folk are accustomed to. I have heard the occasional Labrador does this. Will be interested to read other thoughts.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Low thyroid possibly, or an allergy.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Does she itch? Does she have a yeasty smell? Not mange but need skin cytology for diagnostic help. Could be hormonal induced, last heat cycle? Malassezia is a common yeast infection of the skin and ears. It is a normal resident in the dogs external ear canal but if it proliferates there or in other places it produces the corrugated appearance to the skin hence the diagnosis malassezia pachydermatitis. It is not a primary skin pathogen but things that alter the normal skin barrier allow it to proliferate. Think allergy or hormonal imbalance. It is easily diagnosed by finding the characteristic budding yeasts from skin cytology. Antifungal shampoos are curative as is ketoconazole an oral antifungal.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be hormonal induced, last heat cycle?
She's never demonstrated a heat cycle.

Does she itch? Does she have a yeasty smell?
Neither.

It is easily diagnosed by finding the characteristic budding yeasts from skin cytology.
There are a lot more possibilities than I thought. I will bring "this list" up with my VET
if they don't go there. I will be better prepared to ask questions.....at the right time of
course.

Thank you all, Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
my golden blew his coat out at that age and started to lose hair on his snout. My vet had just sent a blood test out for hypothyroidism. She also gave him Braveto incase he had mange or something like that. His blood case came back with low thyroid. My dog was about 20 months when this started with bacterial infections. If your dog comes back with low thyroid readings be aware hypothyroidism can create a type of seizure disorder.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vet this morning....chronic infections (plural)

Cephalexin 250 mg
routine - 3 weeks every 12 hours

two+ weeks every 12 hours of the following ear drops.
TrizUltra+Ketol/BaytriILA/DexNaPO4

Prednisolone
phased out over 3 days, then 7 days and then every other day until gone

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Glad you were able to get some answers Jim. Never fun having mystery illnesses to worry about.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Vet this morning....chronic infections (plural)

Cephalexin 250 mg
routine - 3 weeks every 12 hours

two+ weeks every 12 hours of the following ear drops.
TrizUltra+Ketol/BaytriILA/DexNaPO4

Prednisolone
phased out over 3 days, then 7 days and then every other day until gone
Great you got a treatable diagnosis. Forgive my fixation on causation of diseases etc, but I always wonder how/why our dog(s) get "stuff" in an effort to mitigate future issues.
What type of infections does she have? Any idea of how or where she got them??

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What type of infections does she have? Any idea of how or where she got them??
I did not ask about the infections and do not know (for sure) where she picked them
up. An opinion, on my part would be simply a guess.

At the present time, the dogs are transferred to a tech person outside the clinic and
they take them into the clinic. I remain in my van. Therefore, the only contact I have
with the VET is a brief phone conversation explaining the treatment (if any). I have
been with this clinic for about twenty years.

They are booked solid for a good reason. :cool:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Got it! Covid sucks. I haven't talked to our vet for over a year due to covid restrictions at the vet.
I asked because many years ago, I lost a high end female black to Blasto. I asked alot of questions after the fact and now know where I can and can't train at certain times of year to "prevent" my dogs from ever getting it again. Anytime I can learn something as far as infections, diseases etc, I want to be all ears.
Got good info from you back in 2007 regarding eic and Drake, just trying to glean more from ya! :geek:

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I am grateful that my (new) vet allows clients to come into the building, having done the 'sit in the parking lot' routine at the vet I used to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts