RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently switched my 1yo YLM from LB puppy to LB adult food and also from Pro Plan to Eukanuba. I've been training about 30min to 1hour a day mostly late in the evening and even sometimes after dark due to the heat. He does farely good put seems to get tired after only about 7 or 8 short retrieves. My question is should he be fed a food with a higher protein/ fat ratio or so called "performance food" ie. Pro Plan Performance or Eukanuba Performance, and also is this food ok for a dog that stays in a crate during the day and will it cause him to run too hot during the summer? Thanks for any help and sorry for so many questions I'm still new to all this stuff.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
It's still hot, even if it's in the evening-if he is tiring out, don't push it. How is his body condition? Judge by that. Feed to showing just a slight rib. He can get performance, but you can feed lighter in the summer. Again, 7-8 retrieves in a row may be too much in the heat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I switched my 19 month old BLM from Euk LB to Euk Prem Perf at 1 year old.

I feed 2 cups 5am, and 2 cups 5pm. Weight steady at 70 pounds with couple ribs slightly showing.

Stools regular. Firm.

Coat, health, and energy right where I want them.

Only food I'll use.

Be careful in heat. Even when we are working or even playing in water in evenings I see results of heat. Supposed to be between 102-105 here for next couple days. Other than couple short bumper play sessions couple times a day to burn off energy, we are taking time off training till temps drop.

Lots of water during training sessions. Breaks in shade are opportunity to teach him patience to sit or lay for extended periods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's in very good condition just spends alot of time inside. I try to be super careful but he still may be getting a little hot. I'll ease up on him for a while and see if that helps since its so warm out. What kind of low impact training can I do so that it may be a little easier for him during all this heat?

·
Registered
977 Posts
If your schedule will allow it, working in the morning might be better. It's almost always cooler then than in the evening. When I lived in AZ I got up an hour early to train the dog before work at 5 AM, when at least it was in the 80's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts