RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my young show prospect was as usual out in the fenced dog yard while hubby was tossing around a few a few playful tennis balls for his Nitro pup (tennis balls are free for all play and the dog knows it) I'm cooking dinner and glancing out the kitchen window. My boy is all of a sudden very focused and rather than chase his playmate he is very seriously concentrating on the fall of the ball. Honestly he has been for the past three days marking with the intensity of Buds, the Nitro pup. The dog just does conformation and OB. His sire is a CH/MH and his maternal grandsire is a MH that retired with 20 MH passes.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Go training and see how the dog turns out.

I do think the excellent markers are born.

But I have always wondered, do some extremely highly driven dogs, take a while to settle, so their brains can catch up with their bodies? :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well...this is a personal opinion(i think). I will admit, that my dog is not a very good marker, and his parents are not titled or anything either. His grand parents have titles though but not any AFC or NFC stuff. His marking has gotten alot better as time has progressed but still has some trouble. In my opinion there has to be some genetics behind this all. He can mark alright, but then you take a dog that has a great pedigree and he can mark a ton better. I think some is learned and some is in the breed. Good luck with the new dog!

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
IMHO marking is inherited. My dog, if anyone saw him at PRC this last weekend, is a machine on marks. But that will not get the job done. He was also a total monster on line manners, and I probably will not even try to finish the title JH even though he qualified back to back. Marking is bred in, trainability is the issue. I aint got it, but good luck to you with a dog that does have obedience, and shows a desire to go! I think that if you have a well trained dog, you can probably accomplish most hunt test scenarios. I do not believe you can take raw marking and ever win anything. I love my pup, but I am sadly ill equipped to deal with his temperment. Will continue to love him and train him just the same :roll:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think the instinct to retrieve is in their genes. Developing their "marking" is teaching them to concentrate on that object until released.

Just my two cents.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I expect there are many theories on this, there may even be studies as well.

My observation is this:

Marking is a reflection of prey drive (desire) coupled with training (concepts). The most important part, in my estimation, is the prey drive.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Jerry said:
I think the instinct to retrieve is in their genes. Developing their "marking" is teaching them to concentrate on that object until released.

Just my two cents.

Jerry
Nurture the nature...same with all athletes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do not understand the confusion. I am quite certain that there are many dual champion labs so why is in not believeable a bench bred lab has great prey drive and marking ability ?

One of the parents was a dual and it appears it has been passed down

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Lil Dikens Kennels said:
I do not understand the confusion. I am quite certain that there are many dual champion labs so why is in not believeable a bench bred lab has great prey drive and marking ability ?

One of the parents was a dual and it appears it has been passed down
When was the last dual champion??? :?

Pin point, deadly marking is god given. If we could train any old fido to be a national caliber marker well,,,, we would all be running the nationals with our FC/AFC's that we trained ourselves.

You know it when you see it and great eyes on a dog will blow your socks off when you witness it....

Angie

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's all about marking---if great marking could be taught then we'd see a lot more FC dogs out there--IMHO! There's a reason Lean Mac kids out--the dog was born with GREAT marking ability.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Jerry said:

We have a winner! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts