1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Does sound serious! This has happened before and the article talks about it occuring a few years ago. We have not had much rain here in the Sarnia Ontario area. We need rain bad. I hope it is not going to be a droughty year this summer. We did not even have our normal snowfall. Somethings amiss!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I just saw on a news ticker that 10,000 to 15,000 birds have died in the Klamath National Wildlife Refuge and Two Rivers from Avian Cholera due to drought and overcrowded conditions in what little water is available in the lakes.
Sounds rather serious. This doesn't happen often does it?

Here's one story link: http://www.tworiverstribune.com/2012/04/thousands-of-birds-drop-dead-in-klamath-refuge/

Wow--How did you come across that website? Pretty obscure--- I thought I was one of about 23 that had it stored in my favorites. I have a place on the klamath river (ocean) and also hunt waterfowl in the Klamath basin( 275 miles inland). It gives me a unique, unbiased perspective in the water politics of Salmon, Native fishing rights, farming, and Ducks.

The water hierarchy allotment goes like this: 1) Native fishing ( 99 percent gill netting--couldn't help myself) 2) Endangered Species Act--coho, mud suckers, shad, and others. 3) Wetlands/duck hunting. 4) Farming.

Lowly rod fisherman, and and duck hunters are on the low end of the totem (no pun intended) pole.

Avian Cholera, though not good, is fairly common. Hopefully, these spring rains that we are getting will disperse some birds.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
395 Posts
When you have large numbers of waterfowl that are limited in their water choices in a certain area(drought) this happens.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ran a 9000 acre duck and operation on the Katy prairie west of Houston and we lost 225,000 in 1986 it was terrible as a matter of fact I sold my business to Larry Gore and did'nt shoot waterfowl for 25 yrs I just was'nt mad at them my guides and I picked up thousands and burned them along with the feds and state

·
Registered
126 Posts
It happens from time to time at goose refuge in west-central Minnesota. In previous years, the state DNR would provide food crops within the refuge boundaries to "help" the birds. Seems this actually kept the birds there longer while on their migration south, and the added numbers and concentration incressed the incidence and severity of these outbreaks.l

·
Registered
875 Posts
It happened along the Canadian shore of Lake Ontario last year.
Mostly diver ducks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts