RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since picnic tests and training days will be here soon, I thought I'd share some set-ups of recent hunt tests for those that are new to the game or if anyone needs some ideas for training. I'll post these, and I can post more if people are interested. There is of course an entirely different discussion on HOW to train for these, but today, I'm just posting the WHAT. :p

I made these pictures using Google Earth and Microsoft Publisher. I saved the image I wanted in Google Earth as a jpeg, and then made my additions in Publisher. My memory is terrible, so it helps me remember previous tests and what different set-ups look like. I know this would have helped me tremendously when I first started out.

Map Land lot Volcanic field Earth
Land lot Map
Map Estuary

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I don't see any markup on the pics, indicating where the marks and blinds etc. are.

Ok now I see them. Thanks---I'm thinking about running MH tests some this year.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you explain #2? Dog 1 honors while dog 2 gets walkup flyer? then dog 1 gets the double?

On number 3, in what order did folks pick up the birds?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Thanks! Very helpful.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Looks like the pits out by Weiser?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you explain #2? Dog 1 honors while dog 2 gets walkup flyer? then dog 1 gets the double?

On number 3, in what order did folks pick up the birds?
Dog #2 would be in the "honor" position, while dog #1 did the walk-up. However after the flyer landed, dog #2 would be called to pick up the bird. The double would then be thrown, with dog #2 honoring while dog #1 picked up the double. After the double was picked up, dog #1 would go to #2 spot, and dog #3 would start the walk-up, and the test repeated. The test was started by having a bye dog be in the #2 spot, while #1 did the walk-up. A few dogs had some problems running the double because they had to run past the old fall of the flyer. If a dog drifted off line into the old fall, they had problems.

The thirds series is/was a lot tougher than what people thought. Even though the marks weren't that long, all the birds were in your face. The #1 bird being the flyer landed right in the middle of the pond in full view of the dog. The majority of dogs picked that bird up first even though it was the first bird down.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you explain how do you use these in training?
I take the set-ups in the hunt tests and break them down to teach the different concepts to the dog. If I had a dog struggle in a certain set-up/concept, I could plan accordingly and tailor the training to meet the need(s) of the dog. Example: If my dog had a hard time driving past an old fall on a blind retrieve (like the OP in the 2nd and 3rd series) then I could make a note of that and make sure we get more training dealing with exactly that. Drills such as KRD or 4 phase drill could help with this concept.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Arggghhh! Thanks for reminding me why I haven't done hunt tests much. Too much going on all around. My head spins just looking at the pictures, no wonder my dog totally loses his mind when all those duck calls, shotguns etc start going off all around him within 100 yards. But by golly I'm gonna give it a try this summer. Got to do something!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for posting - clearly marked pictures like this help me understand what to expect. One thing I'm curious about....what would a JH and SH level test look like compared to this? Or the HRC level tests.....

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
My head spins just looking at the pictures, no wonder my dog totally loses his mind when all those duck calls, shotguns etc start going off all around him within 100 yards
In hunt tests, the birds fall one bird at a time, the dog picks them up one bird at a time. If your mind is spinning, how do you keep your dog calm and on task?

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Howard, you have precisely identified my problem! Spin control anyone?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post Willie. It's nice to see set up's at the master level so we can use the same scenario during training. Technology is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, It would be nice to see more set ups, as I have been running HRC and will be running AKC Master this year also

Thanks,;-)
Here's another Master test from April 2012
Land lot Map Aerial photography Land lot Slope Soil Plain Landscape Land lot Slope Photography Sport venue

and Senior test from April 2012
Land lot Soil Aerial photography Photography Geological phenomenon Slope Soil Land lot Geological phenomenon Tree

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the different senior set up diagrams. Planning on running seniors this spring and while I am confident she's ready, it's always nice to consider other setups and things to train for :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Willie, on the third series double with a walk up, when was the diversion thrown? Was this after they picked up bird one or two?
Thanks for sending these out. We will try similar set up's at our HRC training day this weekend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts