RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Master Standards have changed with the new rule changes has anyone noticed a decrease in the pass rate or is it still the same or has it increased?

Since the test requirements now require at least 2 tripples as opposed to 1 and if a double is done in 1 series it must have an additional element, one would think this change in standards would be harder to pass.
Also since the change of the walk up rule has that changed things for better or worse? Are the walk ups you see now more likely to cause a dog to break or less likely to break? Has it changed the senior setups you have seen? any seperate walk ups in senior or masters?
Has the change to the junior 1 handle rule made a difference?

Currious about how it has affected other parts of the country..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Since the Master Standards have changed with the new rule changes has anyone noticed a decrease in the pass rate or is it still the same or has it increased?

Since the test requirements now require at least 2 tripples as opposed to 1 and if a double is done in 1 series it must have an additional element, one would think this change in standards would be harder to pass.
Also since the change of the walk up rule has that changed things for better or worse? Are the walk ups you see now more likely to cause a dog to break or less likely to break? Has it changed the senior setups you have seen? any seperate walk ups in senior or masters?
Has the change to the junior 1 handle rule made a difference?

Currious about how it has affected other parts of the country..

Thanks
In my part of the country, I would expect the pass rates to go UP, new rules or not, due to the massive influx of pro-trucks/serious AM's with already titled MH dogs, still in heavy training, trying to get the last leg or two to Q for running the (local) MN. Next year, with the MN elsewhere, I expect lower pass rates, as well as lower entry rates in my little part of the world. I would expect the immediate area of next years MN to see the same "bump" in numbers and pass rates that I percieve in our area. I see it as cyclical.

I have never seen 2 doubles thrown in a master test, although I guess it must happen somewhere. So, I am not sure the "new rules" really change much for most judges.

Aloha.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Well, since in Texas we often see 3 sets of triples in Master, the "shall have 2 triples" rule hasn't changed a thing.

As a Senior judge, I have used the walk up on the water and have found it more perplexing than anything else. Because there is often not an exactly 35 - 45 yards from the line place to hide a bird station. I wish they had just used the wording, "The walk up bird shall be presented no further than 50 yards from the line." - if their intention was to make the walk up bird be within normal shooting range. In my last two senior tests, I only had one dog break on the walk up bird and he broke on the shot & ran into the water where the 2nd bird was supposed to fall totally missed even seeing the 35 yard walk up bird that was to the right of the line.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
I feel a lot creepier since now those guys in the chairs are watching me instead of my dog to make sure I "shouldered the gun and pulled the trigger when the bird was in the air...."

Quick looking at my A......

/Paul

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Down south, In a master test you are seeing the flyer as the walk up more often and having a flyer at 35-45 yds is scary. Other than that, most of the master test I have run have had at least 2 of the series have triples anyway so not much change there.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Southwest, we've always had at least 2 triples most of the time there is three, have even seen a quad in a series once. The new rule has not changed a thing, but it was probably a good idea to ensure, that testing remains at a comparable level nationwide.

The new walk-up has messed me up more than the dog, it was hard to get used to no call, and exactly when I can tell the dog to sit. The bird comes out of nowhere, seems that the second bird is in the air before I remember to enforce the sit, then it comes out all panicked. I always wonder(Will the judges fail me for being too late?). Realistically the dog should stay period, they shouldn't need the sit, so now we practice a no tolerance policy on that, and I have less worry. From what I've seen if handlers get through the walk-up especially a live flyer, there is very little if no breaking in later series.

The pass rate will continue to good up, we have better trained dogs, These new rules just ensure that the MH standard is kept comparable across the country. An MH should be able to remain steady, they also should be able to pickup multiple marks including a triple unaided, they should be able to take casts if directed. They should be very reliable in this skill set, and tests should be setup to allow the dogs to demonstrate such; it's why they are called Master hunters.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have noticed no difference. The dogs that break on the walkup IMHO would have broke anyway. Some of the hardest tests I have ran were doubles. I cannot remember 2 doubles in a test anyway so no difference at all there.
Mark L

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have noticed no difference. The dogs that break on the walkup IMHO would have broke anyway. Some of the hardest tests I have ran were doubles. I cannot remember 2 doubles in a test anyway so no difference at all there.
Mark L
Scariest words out of a judges mouth going into the third - IT'S JUST A DOUBLE!!! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts