RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Does the double blind requirement meaningfully add to the AKC Master level test?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent thread discussing rules and judging it was suggested that in order to effectively judge according to the rules it was important for the judge to understand the rule's intent. I agree with this thinking.

Question: What is the intent in having a double blind in an AKC Master hunt test? What is it supposed to demonstrate as opposed to just having a meaningful well set up single blind?

Jesse

·
Registered
849 Posts
Jess
I guess no one can think of a damn thing that a double blind adds to a hunt test :lol: :lol:

I still need someone with a sewing machine to do those holding blinds, I can put them togeather after they are sewen in about an hour.

tom

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Double blinds show if a dog will pick up one blind successfully, then fight the suction of that first blind while going for the second. Set up correctly by the judges, a double blind through marks the dog just completed can be one heckuva test. Set up incorrectly, double blinds can be a yawner.

Saw a good one a month or so ago. Dog had to pick up the right-hand flyer, short middle bird, then the long left-hand mark. The double blind then went like this. Short (35 yards) left of the short middle bird, almost on the line to the left-hand mark. Long blind to the right of the short blind, planted just right of the thrower for the left hand bird. Tight double blind, with a thread-the-needle between the short blind and the short mark, complicated by all that stuff having to do with the left hand mark, that was a factor for both blinds. And the longer blind had to cross a road, to boot.

It's all about control.

Lisa - thinks what you get out of setting up a double blind depends on what you put into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I personally am torn between running MH, and dealing (/ training for...) with all the tricks that go along with it or just waiting till next spring and run QAA stakes.

I would like to see the tricks thrown out; even if that means the requirements are changed.

Mike

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Depends...Just back-to-back featureless blinds 8) , one short, second longer? No.

But how about this land series from a recent test on the East Coast:

A pop from flyer station precedes dog leaving the holding blind. Dog comes to the line, sits, then is lined up for a blind 100 yards out, 30 degrees off flyer station, and must cut a corner of a pond. Dog returns with bird, must hold it while judge calls for flyer and until it falls. Then dog is "no"-ed off flyer and runs 125-yard blind tightly behind the flyer station, up and over rolling terrain. Dog returns with blind, is sent for flyer. Then followed by a left-to-right triple, with long bird about 130 yards, but also sending dog right back into area of old fall for go bird.

Mighty meaty little test, the blinds figured into it prominently and snuffed a lot of dogs. (Not mine, she had another little "idiosyncrasy" later on.)

MG

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
The reason for the double blind is just as important as any of the other concepts that are being tested. I especially like the idea of running them B/B, just to see if the dog is still in step with the handler/trainer, or has it "limited out" on the number of whistles it will respond to. It's also a way to judge perseverence more thoroughly.

As it pertains to hunting, we've run as many as 4 blinds B/B on black geese. Pretty hard to call picking up snows as multi-blinds, but we've had beaucoup of those. (On one 'conservation' hunt, Da Bull had 17 water retrieves, and 9 on land)

It's one of the requirements that places the Master test on a slightly higher level of achievement than the other hunt testing programs. OMHDAO

UB

·
Registered
849 Posts
IMHO To the dog that is Master ready it won't care if it is a single blind or a quadruple blind, and carrying a bird back will be thearapy enough if there is a bit of a donnybrook on the first one. I personally don't think there is a single thing that can be tested on a double blind that can't be tested on a single blind.

tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts